PDA

View Full Version : cleaning trane cond.

aaron crimmins
02-12-2001, 06:47 AM
anybody know of a good way to clean the condensers on the new trane units that have those "fuzzy" fins. besides pouring lighter fluid on them and burning them off! we use chemical cleaner and a pressure washer to clean everthing else but it folds over those "fuzzy" fins and packs them together. any other ideas?

Brian_UK
04-12-2001, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by aaron crimmins
We use chemical cleaner and a pressure washer to clean everthing else but it folds over those "fuzzy" fins and packs them together. any other ideas? I'm not familar with the exact coils that you are talking about but I think I have seen something similar.

How about using the clemical cleaner in a LOW pressure sprayer instead of the HIGH pressure washer.

Or could you stand about 100 feet away from the coil when using the high pressure one. :D

frank
05-12-2001, 06:57 AM
we use a foaming chemical cleaner such as "hydrocoil" whis is applied diluted - strength according to level of contamination - with a low pressure spray. Once the stuff has finished foaming and removing the dirt we just give the condenser a rinse with clean water, again using a low pressure spray and the job is done!;)

wolfdog
05-12-2001, 07:00 AM
When they are real dirty, I usually have more success blowing water from the inside of the coil towards the outside. Pull a condenser fan out and reach inside with a spray nozzle on a water hose. Worst case -- wash them out as described and then use chemical. Then hope they keep them cleaner from now on.

aaron crimmins
09-12-2001, 05:05 PM
thanks for the info. guys i talked to trane and they tell me that these new fins are designed to run a lower head when they get dirty comparied to the common fins out there. i think i'll try and keep them clean though!

frank
11-12-2001, 08:52 PM
How does that work then - a lower head when the coil is dirty?

Seems like a really good invention!

superheat
23-05-2002, 09:34 PM
I have a nozzle that has several different stream ports. It is on a 4' tube with a cut-off near the hose attatchment. You clean from the inside-out without killing your back. No bending over and you can still watch the water come out. Spray till the water comes out clean. Chemical cleaners are overrated in my book.

hvac01453
10-06-2002, 11:20 AM
The fins are called spine fin and have been around for years. They tend to trap pollen alot more than the straight type fin but do disipate heat over a larger area and therefore use less aluminum (cheaper). they clean easily with Nubrite foaming cleanser we usually cut it 50/50 and spray from the inside out and it comes out easily. also tell the customer when they cut the grass to temporaily shut off the units and they will stay cleaner longer.