PDA

View Full Version : Chill Room Evap Leaks.

PaulYeates
17-06-2016, 10:25 AM
I just leak tested a chill room that was low in refrigerant. There were around 6 or 7 pinhole leaks on the evaporator coil bends at various points but not on braze joints.
The cooler is a Frigabohn and was only replaced 4 years ago. Any idea why these pinhole leaks occur? Is there anything I can do when replacing this evaporator to ensure it doesn't repeat.
R404A is the refrigerant. Electrical defrost.
Cheers

Glenn Moore
17-06-2016, 02:55 PM
Hi Paul
What product is in the room and is it packed or unpacked

NH3LVR
17-06-2016, 05:49 PM
These are copper coils with aluminum fins?

Dr._Fleck
17-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Maggot bait rooms have this problem. The ammonia the maggots secrete to dissolve their food also dissolves the copper after a few years.
The solution is to keep brazing them up or fit a stainless steel evaporator.

chemi-cool
17-06-2016, 06:09 PM
I use this material in cheese mature rooms. The same ammonia problem.
Fantastic and cheap solution.
http://www.refrigtech.com/Product/Aerosols/Defender/defender.html

vikky1971
17-06-2016, 11:51 PM
chemi-cool is the Defender spray available online? As I couldn't find on eBay or Amazon!

cadwaladr
18-06-2016, 12:48 AM
I get mine treated by blygold,or for maggots it's stainless every time!

chemi-cool
18-06-2016, 09:07 AM
chemi-cool is the Defender spray available online? As I couldn't find on eBay or Amazon!

Check on their website.

charlie patt
19-06-2016, 07:47 PM
Have the coils gone porous outside in or inside out had problems with kobol coils and moisture after defrost with hot coil the system had moisture in and went around the evaporator like a pinball fitted core driers weeks vac good torr gauge no more problems it was suspected it came from manufacturer like it two different sites two different install engineers neither had issues on any other jobs

PaulYeates
20-06-2016, 12:50 PM
Thanks very much for the replies!

PaulYeates
20-06-2016, 12:51 PM
There is a mixture of food's and sauce's, all covered with cling film.
Dairy products, chicken fillets, sandwich meats, some fruit and veg and cheese.

PaulYeates
20-06-2016, 12:52 PM
These are copper coils with aluminum fins?

Yes the coils are copper with aluminum fins.

joe-ice
20-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Come across it a lot on any cabinets holding products with vinegar in them such as salad prep cabinets . If theres any imperfections in the copper bends the vinegar just sits in it and eats it , and these coils are coated. A good help would be to store any products like that in sealed containers.

Glenn Moore
20-06-2016, 09:48 PM
I agree with Joes diagnosis, sauces contain all varieties of vinegars and spices which in a damp atmosphere can corrode all types of pipe work, even stainless steel can be eaten in moist chlorine atmospheres

Magoo
21-06-2016, 06:00 AM
Had a similar problem in a chller with meat pickling tubs, chewed out copper/ali fin coils real quick. Replaced evaps with same but treated with blu coat treatment spray on stuff from manufacturer. And to avoid any galvanic reaction super bonded all and everything to earth/ ground. Still OK after 5 years.
From earlier post why the heck would you chill maggets?

mikeref
21-06-2016, 08:22 AM
G'day Magoo. I'm not into fishing but maybe a certain type of Maggot is something UK fish crave. ( off topic.)

cadwaladr
21-06-2016, 10:04 PM
You chill maggots for the coarse fishermen,basically it slows the process of them turning into flys,ha and if the fridge breaks your stock flies out the door sorry for the pun!!!

Magoo
22-06-2016, 05:40 AM
Interesting with chilled maggots, so you through them into the water as a teaser " as in here is lunch bring it on " . A fishing person would definitely need a chilled bin thingo, for bait otherwise it will fly away.
Best everyone comes here and fishes rivers and at sea and catch real fish.

mikeref
22-06-2016, 08:28 AM
You chill maggots for the coarse fishermen,basically it slows the process of them turning into flys,ha and if the fridge breaks your stock flies out the door sorry for the pun!!!

:D Pun was intended. Might i ask how does someone harvest soo many Maggots to fill a coolroom? Wouldn't they be washed before going into storage? The smell alone would be worse than a 2 week old Kangaroo road kill... asking for a friend.:p