PDA

View Full Version : flake ice making machines

deedardiamond
10-06-2016, 07:10 PM
Hi

Is the ice from flake ice making machines edible or only for presentation? the company I work for advises customers to only use the ice flakes for presentation. A client that we have wants to know why and the explaination from my boss makes no sense considering the water quality is excellent.

Marsay
11-07-2016, 07:22 PM
Hi
As long as you fit an inline filter on the supply water I don't see this being a problem ice is ice right
And regular services
Hope this helps
Dan

Grizzly
11-07-2016, 07:38 PM
Hi Marsay.

"Ice is Ice!" Try saying that to a trawlerman. To them the thickness of the ice is crucial.
Meaning if it is too thin it melts quickly and turns to slush around the catch.
If it is too thick it crushes the fish that are layer within it!
From my little experience of ice plant the incoming water supply temperature has a huge effect on the Ice quality and thickness.
One plant we used to look after had a winter and summer setpoint. Because the towns water supply temp could differ by 5/6 c.
Just the ramblings of an Oldie!
Grizzly

Marsay
11-07-2016, 07:49 PM
Hi grizzly

That is 100% correct but as the question states is ice flakes edible I was just stating that surely ice is ice in this respect,I agree to a trawler man this is vital

Cheers

Grizzly
11-07-2016, 07:51 PM
No intention to diss your post my friend just adding to it!
Grizzly

hookster
11-07-2016, 08:49 PM
Hi Deedardiamond
Ice is not ice in my book?, yes water supply may be good but is complete installation food grade? Is flaker maintained to food standards i.e food grade greases on flake wiper bearings? After production how is ice stored, transported and traceability?

What was your bosses reasoning?

NH3LVR
11-07-2016, 09:31 PM
North Star and Howe ice flakers are made of USDA approved materials and have long been used in the fishing industry. They even have been used to freeze blood. (An application I have never been witness to.)
That being said they are used to chill and preserve product, not usually as a ingredient. Most people buy stainless NS's now as the maintenance and longevity is superior.
The old carbon steel drums were a bit questionable if you did not wash the product afterwards.
Do not look inside the cube ice machine at your local bar and restaurant. They tend to be filthy.

hookster
12-07-2016, 06:55 AM
Do not look inside the cube ice machine at your local bar and restaurant. They tend to be filthy.

Agree with this statement we have a running score card of the pubs/restaurants with the worst ice machines in our company.They are disgusting and the only time you get to descale them is if they are so bad production has stopped.

FreezerGeezer
12-07-2016, 11:52 AM
It's been a looong time since I worked on a flaker. But if I recall correctly the answer is no, because the bearing grease isn't food grade. I have an idea there may have been a question over filings getting into the ice as well, but that may well be inaccurate.

Goober
13-07-2016, 03:03 AM
Is it a standard Ice Flaker or a Salt Ice flaker? Salt flaker obviously wouldn't be that good for consumption?