PDA

View Full Version : Can this mini condensate pump be fixed?

tucson
22-05-2016, 12:00 AM
We have a 3 year old Aspen mini aqua pump that sits inside the wall near the ceiling a few inches above our Daikin mini split. The unit had been off for 6 months. When we turned it back on, the pump which has always been annoyingly noisy had gotten so loud we had to turn the unit off. We cleaned the coil, pan, blower fan, pump reservoir and filter and replaced all the tubing. The unit is cooling fine but the pump is still loud and it's not moving any water. Afraid it might be damaged, we turned off the breaker. The first pump also died after 3 years and the pan overflowed all over the furniture. Rectorseal (US distributor) says the pumps should last a lot longer.

Thinking maybe the pump is clogged from sitting for 6 months, we disconnected it from the drain line to test it. We ran a 6" hose from the pump outlet making sure the end of the hose was above the pan so it wouldn't siphon. Turning the breaker back on, with no water yet in the reservoir and the float all the way down, the pump started up immediately, ran very loudly and wouldn't shut off. After adding water, it did the same thing and did not pump any water. When we reconnected it to the drain line, it didn't turn on until the float was raised and wasn't as noisy but still wouldn't pump any water.

Are we doing something wrong? Is the drain line clogged or the pump is worn out or is it something else? If it is dead, any ideas on what might be killing it prematurely?

Thanks for your help,

Sue

Magoo
22-05-2016, 01:13 AM
Hi Sue,
throw it out and buy a new on-line. then explore option to eliminate use of condensate pump. dependent on where your indoor ac head is situated.

tucson
22-05-2016, 03:10 AM
Thanks Magoo. I was afraid of that. The indoor unit is just above a beam that separates 2 rooms so I don't see any way of having a gravity drain without running it across the beam and down to the outside wall.

Do you have any recommendations for a pump that is quiet and more reliable than the Aspens? Any ideas how to make the new one last longer?

Sue

cadwaladr
22-05-2016, 03:23 AM
A drain pump is so cheap I would not bother wondering why it failed just put a new one in the system and see how it works out if you want to investigate a twenty pound sterling pump you have too much time on your hands in out shake it all about they are a mass produced item and are bound to fail so cheap in construction personally your cutting hairs replace it send the pump back to its source for a refund if it was s noisy from day one then the alarm bell should have rang loud!

Rob White
22-05-2016, 11:31 AM

Although the sales blurb claims these small inline
pumps will last for years and never fail, in truth, they
rarely last more than 2 or 3 years, they can be stripped
and cleaned but your's sounds like the pump itself has
physically failed.
They rely on a sealed diaphragm that osalates at the
frequency of the mains electrical supply (60hz in USA)
so they are quite mechanical and prone the failure.

As advised bin it and put something else in place.
If you have the space a peristaltic pump would be
an option, just as mechanical but you could change
the tubes inside yourself to keep it working and then
you would be good for years.

Rob

vikky1971
22-05-2016, 12:49 PM
@Sue, could you post few snaps of the condensate pump from few angles, may be then I could be able to assist you.

tucson
23-05-2016, 04:53 AM
Hi all, thanks for the info. Does the fact that the pump runs continuously & loudly when the discharge hose is disconnected and the float is down but when the discharge hose is re-connected it behaves correctly (doesn't turn on until the float is up) suggest that maybe the drain line is blocked and that's why it's not moving water?

The prices I'm seeing online for these pumps are around $130 (90 pounds) and up which is why I want to make sure the problem is the pump. Here's the one we have:
https://www.acwholesalers.com/Aspen/ASP-MA-UNI-Mini-Aqua-Condensate-Pump-Kit-Universal-Voltage/11322.ac?gclid=CKLqzoGl78wCFZNafgodhr8McQ

It's late so I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

Thanks,

Sue

vikky1971
23-05-2016, 08:40 AM
Well! there is no harm dismantling the pump, yourself, and if possible fix it. Ease up all the parts and blow the drain hose and see if the pump can be revived. If nothing works then you can order a new pump. By the way as long as the float is Down the pump shouldn't start.