PDA

View Full Version : RH in potato cold storage

kryoboss
05-05-2006, 03:06 AM
Hi every body,
I've read in many articles that the RH % in a potato cold sotrage should be never less than 90, and there is many equipment manufacturers assuring to reach that percentage.
My question on this is related to an aplication with potatos storaged in wood boxes, the highest RH at the Higrometer location is no more than 80%, there is three evaporative coolers inside and the amount of water condensed at the cooling coils is below the amount of water consumed by the evaporative coolers.
I think I'm missing something.
I'm looking for help.

Josip
05-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Hi every body,
I've read in many articles that the RH % in a potato cold sotrage should be never less than 90, and there is many equipment manufacturers assuring to reach that percentage.
My question on this is related to an aplication with potatos storaged in wood boxes, the highest RH at the Higrometer location is no more than 80%, there is three evaporative coolers inside and the amount of water condensed at the cooling coils is below the amount of water consumed by the evaporative coolers.
I'm looking for help.

Hello Kryoboss,

Please check something more at this link:

http://www.uidaho.edu/ag/plantdisease/potato.htm

hope to find something useful,

Best regrds,

Josip:)

Samarjit Sen
13-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi, Josip,
In Agricultural refrigeration it is not possible to attain RH above 70 to 80 % from the evaporator coils. There are manufacturers who claim so, but if you study the details the coils can attain 80 to 98& RH if the intake of air to the coil has RH of about 80%. The only way one can attain the RH above 80% upto 98% is by using additional adiabatic humidifiers. Care should be taken that as for other products the particle sizes of moisture is between 3 to 5 microns other wise there shall be droplets of water.

Air is another important factor. The required quantity of air as per load assessment and product details should be provided at a high velocity to ensure proper circulation of temperature and humidity.

With best wishes, Samarjit

Andy
18-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Hi every body,
I'm looking for help.

Hi Kryoboss:)

have you a water meter on bthe evaporative cooler water make up,:confused: and a bucket on the overflow
this will tell you if water is being added to the room

Have you refrigeration checked over, the evaporation may be too low or the plant short of refrigerant.

Kind Regards Andy:)