PDA

View Full Version : Freezer too cold!

nwf
04-05-2006, 11:42 PM
I just bought a GE freezer(FCM5DRWH). My goal is to have this run at 35 F or so. Basically I want to convert this into a a fridge for a kegerator.

Sure you can buy after market products that do this, but I'm cheap.

I have found the pot that controls temp easy enough but basically the warmest setting is too cold.

I have a timer in line with the power cord what run for 15 minutes at noon and midnight. I'm not sure how the timer will work so I'm looking for a solution to the limited potentiometer.

Can someone give me specs on what pot I might replace with one with. Or anyother recomendations as to how I can turn my freezer in to a fridge.

afeef
06-05-2006, 08:11 AM
hi to you
yes ,,,you can do it ,,,i do it my self ,,,it is easy .
only change the thermostate of the freezer to thermostate of water cooler that give you temprature between 2-8 centegrade
it works good
regards

Andy T
06-05-2006, 09:29 AM
A thermostat is a switch which opens when the thermostat gets to the cold cut out point.It's not a pot.On a chest freezer two wires are attached.Also a long thin tube filled with gas this is connected to bellows on the stat which when gets warmer expands expanding the bellows pushing on the switch making it close allowing power to flow.Switching the Comp on.To replace the stat for a water cooler stat.Leave the freezer switched off for 24hours(helps free up the small tube from ice).While it is unpluged pull the stat knob off under there will be a nut, undo it with pliers.Reach in behind the stat find the thin tube and ease it out of the place it is inserted.Pull the two wires off maybe three with an earth.Fit new stat in reverse steps.Remember don't cut the thin tube or bend it to sharply.Any spare length of tube, just loop it up.DON'T CUT IT TOO LENGTH (It will break the stat)

nwf
31-05-2006, 03:24 AM
Thanks guys. All set and working very nice at 42F.:)