PDA

View Full Version : Oil free refrigeration system

sendhilkmar
19-04-2016, 07:29 AM
Hi All

I am just wondering what would happen if moisture present in the system that uses oil free compressor. Is moisture level not critical for oil free system ? If there is no oil then chances for acid formation is remote .
Do you foresee any another implications due to moisture for HFC and HFO refrigerants when used with Oil free compressor

RANGER1
19-04-2016, 07:54 AM
Expansion valves may block up from freezing water
Any control valves may also play up.

Magoo
20-04-2016, 06:13 AM
moisture in any refrigeration system is problem, irrespective of oil free what ever, chemical reactions and water freezes.
So no short cuts with system.

Grizzly
20-04-2016, 06:58 AM
As My Antipidean ( is that the correct spelling Guys?) Friends state.
Moisture in a fridge system is unwanted irrespective of a lubricated or non lubricated compressor.

The main selling point of Turbocor and similar comps is you have no oil logging in the system.
Which normally collects in the lowest pressurised part of the system.
Namely the plate heat exchanger or evap. Greatly reducing the efficiency of the system.
Therefore no oil = No Oil Logging.
Not No Moisture!
I would pay particular attention to how and what Oils you use.
Grizzly

Brian_UK
20-04-2016, 10:51 PM
Off topic - Grizzly try antipodean. ;)

sendhilkmar
21-04-2016, 10:12 AM
Thanks guys for the information. The reason for bringing this topics is due to the debate I come across for oil free chillers . The discussion was just a strainer is sufficient and no need of filter drier to adsorb the moisture . But I was not endorsing that option; hence would like to know more detail about the moisture +refrigerant +components behavior

BradC
25-04-2016, 03:48 AM
Look up hydrolysis of various refrigerants. It's generally not pretty for fluorocarbons.