PDA

View Full Version : Samsung fridge tripping circuit breaker

warner54
13-04-2016, 05:02 AM
This samsung fridge turns on and runs fine then trips the circuit breaker after a few hours of running. I thought it would most likely be the defrost element but thought I'd check the compressor anyway and I'm getting 11.5 Ohms between any pair of terminals. Does this mean theirs a short in the windings? Anything else I should check before replacing the compressor?

warner54
13-04-2016, 07:31 AM
The compressor runs and sounds fine. Its drawing around 1 amp while running and the fridge is cooling normally, so I'm thinking the compressor is fine and it likely is the defrost element but I just can't figure out why the resistance of the windings are all the same. My understanding is that the resistances of the start and run windings to common should add up to the resistance between the start and run terminals, which is what I get when testing a different fridges compressor with my multimeter...

mikeref
13-04-2016, 08:21 AM
11.5 Ohms? It's A VFD compressor.

will173
15-04-2016, 11:20 PM
As a tech i normal would manually turn the defrost timer and unplug what ever i think is the problem.

mikeref
16-04-2016, 09:36 AM
11.5 Ohms? It's A VFD compressor.

Adding some to my comment. Compressor is good. Do you have a side/side Fridge Freezer? Freezer on the Left and fridge on the Right? From memory, SRS models are likely to have a defrost heater failures in the Fridge compartment.

install monkey
16-04-2016, 10:22 PM
most f ing helpful, your link doesnt work:D

mikeref
17-04-2016, 08:58 AM
Nah. Install Monkey might have posted in the wrong forum....or replied to a Hacker, and the Mod's deleted it without any reference.

install monkey
17-04-2016, 09:20 AM
i reported the 4th post mike, if the windings are equal then it must be an inverter compressor - maybe test insulation of each winding to earth using a Meg ohm meter- (megger) or as an alternative unplug the defrost heater and run it see if it doesn't trip- if a heater fails you can usually tell its knackered by looking at it as it will blow open, fans are powered off the pcb so will blow fuse on pcb usually.
last resort is the breaker weak? could be nuisance tripping

mikeref
17-04-2016, 09:59 AM
We are on the same page I.M. :)
No harm, no foul.

install monkey
17-04-2016, 02:57 PM
brian edited it- the end of the post had a website on it, but it didnt work- give your 56k modem a kick:p