PDA

View Full Version : Convert Freezer to fridge?

Dave Elliot
29-11-2001, 06:07 PM
I found an old Philco freezer that opens from the top. I restored the exterior and want to convert it to cold drink storage. I bought a new universal thermostat with sensor line and bulb. The thermostat has high and low settings. I am not sure how wire it. Will converting the unit make it want to short cycle? Can this be done.

Abe
29-11-2001, 10:18 PM
Hello Dave,

You can convert a freezer to a fridge , but not "necessarily" a fridge into a freezer.

Just replace the thermostat with a bottle cooler stat, Danfoss and Ranco both produce one, and you will be away.

I havbe converted many, without any problems whatsover

Regards

Aiyub

Dave Elliot
05-12-2001, 02:01 PM
Thanks Aiyub. Is the wiring of the T stat obvious? Would removing the old stat give the correct terminals for the new?

Brian_UK
05-12-2001, 11:43 PM
Yes, the 'stats terminals should be obvious, two contacts mounted in plastic and an earth which is mounted on the metallic frame of the 'stat.

You can always ask the supplier for the correct wiring diagram.

Dave Elliot
05-12-2001, 11:52 PM
Thanks Brian. I appreciate your help. I seem to be able to fix most anything as long as I can narrow the problem down and then get the right information to complete the knowledge gap. As I said thanks.

dan wong
28-01-2002, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Aiyub
Hello Dave,

You can convert a freezer to a fridge , but not "necessarily" a fridge into a freezer.
I havbe converted many, without any problems whatsover

Regards

Aiyub

whooo, wait a minute, you did that without any problem?....
did you also change the compressor from a low back pressure to medium or hi back pressure? or maybe add an EPR valve to it?. If you did that might be ok. If not, I suspect that low back pressure compressor (normally on freezer) is running pretty HOT. I think that is a problem.

Frosty
28-01-2002, 09:28 PM
I agree with Dan. Ok, you can convert freezer to fridge with minimal mods...but what about the life of the compressor? Is the system still balanced? I doubt it! When a system is designed for cold store application, every component is chosen for a given mass flow of refrigerant...as soon as you up the running temperature the mass flow of refrigerant increases accordingly.

As well as the compressor running outside of its design envelope, its quite possible that the expansion valve, whether it be capillary tune, TEV or whatever is undersized.

Its also possible that the condenser is perhaps now undersized for the application!

Just a few thoughts!

Frosty

Abe
31-01-2002, 10:27 PM
For the record, the units I converted were tiny littly chest freezers with small danfoss compressors. I was working at Coca Cola at the time and we issued customers with small chest freezers to keep their freezits ( plastic tubes filled with pop which are frozen and kids suck them!)

Anyway, occasionally when a customer wanted to change the freezer into a cooler, so he could keep coke bottles in it, I changed the stat, and yes, the coolers ran for years without probs

Now, all this about LBP and system unbalancing are correct

But on the small stuff, I got away with it

I wouldnt DARE try it on the larger stuff
Thanks guys

abcdefg1675
15-03-2003, 01:01 AM
theirs usually a screw in the thermostat you can twist with a small screwdriver to adjust the range of the thermostat.

Dan
15-03-2003, 04:07 AM
Philco. No wonder you restored it's exterior before worrying about what you want to do with it. :)

Not sure I understand why you have to change thermostats. My only experience with a Philco was when I was in a prone position in my garage embracing a grounded compressor as I tried to gain service access. I damn near restored MY exterior.

Philco's are a piece of Americana. I would think that by now you know where the stat wires up to. But darn.... Philco!:)