PDA

View Full Version : Health issues

WebRam
21-02-2001, 10:20 AM
Has anyone developed any lung problems since working in the refrigeration trade?

Or any other health problems?

I read an interesting article on refrigerants and would be interested to see and read replies.

subzero*psia
26-02-2001, 05:13 PM
I just saw a documentary on lung ailments such as asthma and bronchitus etc. the other day. One of the things used to combat the effects of those ailments was the hand held "inhaler". The inhaler actually holds a very small charge of refrigerant which is metered very accurately. The refrigerant expands in the lungs opening bronchial tubes and passages. No surprise there!

I don't remember what refrigerant it was. It just amazed me in the usage of it considering we all have to follow such strict guidelines etc. If it is not "used" as a refrigerant... in many cases, dispersal is not regulated.

Depending on the refrigerant, I would suspect that health issues would be related to the quantity of refrigerant and how often you were exposed. Being everyone is certified I doubt that we are ever exposed to more than the "deminimus" discharge amount of refrigerant which may escape from our manifold gage lines. I prefer to use quick disconnects and carry several gage sets whenever I can.

WebRam
26-02-2001, 10:13 PM
Being as I am a asthma sufferer, I did a lot of reserch into these inhalers. The type of inhaler you refer to is the puffer type.

Do you know that there is an alergic reaction between certain inhalers and *****?

I use a different type that has no charge in it.

slloyd
11-03-2001, 04:13 PM
40 bensons,due to unneccesary pressure from company middle management, although i suppose they do reward me for my efforts, but a verbal thank you ,would,nt go a miss

Dan
14-03-2001, 03:01 AM
What concerns me most are the acidic vapors that are inevitable during emergency brazing repairs, remodels etc. But I don't know of any lasting lung problems among those who work for me, but I have seen what those vapors can due to eyes, throat, and lungs for the short term, and it is nasty enough to take every precaution to avoid it.

What IS a lasting problem with perhaps myself and those I work with is hearing loss. We are all more careful about hearing protection these days, but none of us were for so many years.