PDA

View Full Version : Grooved flexible couplings (Grinnell & Victaulic) allowed in R134a piping?

Coolbox
20-03-2016, 11:56 AM
I have the following question:
Are grooved flexible couplings (Grinnell & Victaulic) allowed in R134a piping as per ASHRAE-15 & ASME B31.5?
I do cannot find any particular exclusions of these type of piping joints in these standards.

Anyone has the answer?
Cheers

Brian_UK
20-03-2016, 12:48 PM
I cannot find any Victaulic documents relating to its use with refrigerant and to be honest I wouldn't use it either. Goes against all recognised safe jointing methods I think.

Coolbox
20-03-2016, 01:10 PM
Thanks Brian. In this case it would be mounted in the Refrigerant relief vent header.

chemi-cool
20-03-2016, 02:17 PM
You can find here an answer.

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/code/ibr/asme.b31.5.2001.pdf

Coolbox
20-03-2016, 05:19 PM
Thanks Chemi-cool,

I have been reviewing this, but could find only:

518 SLEEVE COUPLED AND OTHER NOVELOR PATENTED JOINTSCoupling type, mechanical gland type, and otherpatented or novel type joints may be used providedadequate provisions are made to prevent separation ofthe joints and provided a prototype joint has beensubjected to performance tests to determine the safetyof the joint under simulated service conditions. Whenvibration, fatigue, cyclic conditions. low temperature,thermal expansion, or hydraulic shock are anticipated,the applicable conditions shall be incorporated in thetests.

I cannot draw a clear conclusion from this clause.

chemi-cool
20-03-2016, 05:31 PM
If you have doubts, dont use it.