PDA

View Full Version : 3 phase on single question.

Steve Thomas
07-03-2016, 03:52 PM
Hi,
As you will probably glean from my question - all this is totally new to me!
I'm looking to buy a second hand refrigerated insulated container to use as cold storage at home.
The one I'm going to see is 14ft long and the motor in the unit is 3 phase (dual voltage I think?).
The guy said that it would have been cooled via the truck engine whilst travelling and that the motor would be used when the lorry was parked up.

I hope to get to see the unit in the next couple of days and will try to check the details on the motor. In the meantime, what would be the easiest/best way for me to use it at home on single phase please?
From what I can gather some options would be
1. Change to a single phase motor
2. Buy a phase convertor (if so what type size)
3. I read a bit about VFD's - would one be suitable/useable for the job?

These are just things I've read about today online, so if I'm off the mark could someone put me straight please?
Thanks,
Steve.

Brian_UK
07-03-2016, 05:03 PM
Hi Steve and welcome.

All three of your choices are options but without details of the present driveline authorities answers aren't really possible.

Steve Thomas
07-03-2016, 07:00 PM
Hi Brian,
Thanks for your reply. Can you please elaborate a bit on it?? I have no idea what you mean;)

frank
07-03-2016, 07:18 PM
Steve

You need to look at the nameplate on the compressor to see what the electrical details are. Without them, it's a case of 'how long is a piece of string'

monkey spanners
07-03-2016, 07:56 PM
If you are not going to move it about again, the best thing to do is scrap the existing equipment and replace it with a properly sized system such as would be fitted in a normal walk in cooler.

What are you going to be using the room for?

charlie patt
07-03-2016, 08:29 PM
If it's a gah or Hubbard easy to turn single phase u will need electric motor single phase contactor and overload blue plug change dropper wiring dropper has wiring all built in remember to change correct size pulley on single phase unit as different size to three phase also if u are just buying the box u will need a battery and rig up a charger so it don't go flat ..... forget the phase converters and the rest waste of space to unreliable if it's a tk or carrier not worth the hassle I would recommend what ms says rip it out and fit commercial as the other issue is transport fridges burn electric for the fun of it approx twice of good commercial kit the older transport kit far better than the newer stuff pre 2008 small transport far better than newer stuff

cadwaladr
08-03-2016, 01:44 AM
Fit some commercial stuff to it more economical in the long run,for static use some transport stuff is high maintainence and thirsty on the electricity.

Steve Thomas
08-03-2016, 08:37 AM
Fit some commercial stuff to it more economical in the long run,for static use some transport stuff is high maintainence and thirsty on the electricity.

Hi again and thanks to all of you for contributing.

The unit would be static and only used as a fridge/cold store for around 3/4 weeks each year - therefore I don't think the cost of electricity would be too much of an issue.
It's just the easiest way of getting it up and running now.

I will be going to see it this today or tomorrow morning and will get as much info off it as possible.
Thanks,
Steve.

Steve Thomas
08-03-2016, 09:16 AM
I have managed to get a pic of the plate from the unit.

GHAZ
08-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Hi that's a 3 phase motor, in Europe you have to run it in delta @230V and in uk you have to run it in star @400v

chemi-cool
08-03-2016, 08:29 PM
VFD will be your best solution.

You can find here some ideas,
http://machinedesign.com/motorsdrives/how-choose-right-control-method-vfds

cadwaladr
08-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Get a replacement single phase motor ,and as Charlie says change the pulley mods to transformer wiring and contactor wiring plus it may need a new overload to suit the motor,by the way have the pipes to the road c compressor been sealed up and system recharged?

Magoo
09-03-2016, 12:38 AM
There are single to 3 phase inverters available, but the best output is 220vac 3 phase obviously , and super expensive for current draw you need.

monkey spanners
09-03-2016, 11:00 AM
Get a diesel generator if its only going to be for a few weeks a year.

cadwaladr
10-03-2016, 02:38 AM
Sensible solution,but we know weeks can turn into months depending on climate,fix it by converting it to single phase or invest in commercial kit plenty around via thieves bay!

Steve Thomas
10-03-2016, 09:08 AM
Sensible solution,but we know weeks can turn into months depending on climate,fix it by converting it to single phase or invest in commercial kit plenty around via thieves bay!

Thank you all again.
Having taken everything into account i.e. Phase Converter - maybe the motor won't work, won't last very long. Likewise it may not be able to start the motor. Also the issue of re-charging the system if it is drained when they disconnect it from the lorry.

We have decided simply to buy a new single phase monoblock unit and have the assurance of totally new system

Does anyone have any recommendations please? Around about 10CuM

Thanks again,
Steve.

chemi-cool
10-03-2016, 04:12 PM
Zanotti are making pretty good units, check them here and work out the size and electric supply.

http://www.zanotti.com/en/stationary-refrigeration/unit-for-container/as-e-for-containers

Magoo
11-03-2016, 12:34 AM
Hi Steve
seems like a good plan, but make sure your home single phase mains power connection to the national grid can handle what you are wanting to do. Most homes have a 6> 8 kw connection. Check your switch board rating, you will need and electrician to do that. And as an added safety feature with additions to switch board include RCD protection.
magoo

cadwaladr
11-03-2016, 02:01 AM
Are you in north wales Steve?

Steve Thomas
11-03-2016, 10:24 AM
No in Ceredigion, near Aberaeron. ☺

cadwaladr
11-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Shame my mate has a cibin unit that will do it,it's a zanotti type cut a hole fix it up plug it in and away you go