PDA

View Full Version : Drying out an absorption machine

marc5180
28-02-2016, 01:52 PM
Hello guys,

I'm working on an absorption chiller that has had a burst in the absorber section and has completely flooded the system with cooling water.

The HX tubes have now been sealed and there is no more water leaking into the system.
My problem now is how do I get the water out of the system?

If it was a normal chiller then I would be able to seperate the system and just blow through with nitrogen whilst changing the oil and driers but this isn't that easy.

I seem to have water in the bottom of the purge tank but I can't tell how much.

I planned on getting a few space heaters to heat the plant room and the abo whilst carrying out a vac and breaking the vac with OFN.

However I believe that a cold pot may assist me in getting the water out quicker but I don't know too much about this method or where to get one from?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

al
28-02-2016, 02:00 PM
First thing would be to drain all the free water, if necessary drill holes and weld in fittings to allow this, then look at vacuum. You can make your own cold pot or ring one of the local industrial crowds and ask to borrow/rent theirs and maybe their large volume vac pumps?

If it was me i'd drain water, flush with bottle after bottle of nitrogen then vac, open purge on vac pump and change oil frequently.

Grizzly
28-02-2016, 03:02 PM
Hi Marc.
I will have a word with some of my colleagues on Monday, who have more experience than me in drying out Centrifs and abo's.
Our Marine Guys do indeed use a Cold Pot from time to time, however I believe that may well be once the system is reinstated.
When and where it was made I will ask?
From previous conversations I have had with them, I think Al's pretty much on the mark.
The Marine guys deal with this sort of problem a lot more than most.
Grizzly

marc5180
28-02-2016, 04:27 PM
I think I've got a lot of the water out by opening up the valves at the bottom of the absorber and refrigerant pumps.
The purge tank doesn't have a drain off or anything like that. Maybe that's an option to weld a fitting in there that will allow me to drain it.
The tank is made of steel, not sure how thick but I'll look into that.

I'd really appreciate it if you could ask them about the cold pot Grizzly.

NH3LVR
28-02-2016, 04:46 PM
What is a cold pot?
Perhaps we call it something else on this side of the pond.

Grizzly
28-02-2016, 06:08 PM
What is a cold pot?
Perhaps we call it something else on this side of the pond.

Hi NH3LVR.
Check out my explanation in the following post.
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-29123.html

I had a photo of the one we occasionally use, but I cannot as yet find it.
Grizzly

Grizzly
28-02-2016, 06:38 PM
Hi NH3LVR.
Check out my explanation in the following post.
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-29123.html

I had a photo of the one we occasionally use, but I cannot as yet find it.
Grizzly

Hopefully this works
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/grizzlysj/SAM_0365.jpg

NH3LVR
28-02-2016, 10:36 PM
Thank you Grizzly.
Had never seen such a thing.
Perhaps that is why I am NH3lvr, rather than *****LVR:).