PDA

View Full Version : Advice please repair or replace

lew247
17-02-2016, 08:01 PM
I bought a Hitachi split unit air conditioner off that auction site a few months ago and recently had it fitted.
The installer said the service valve was leaking, he tightened up the cap but said the refrigerant will leak out over time, be it 1 month or 1 yr.

They did say it could be "silver brazed" but it would be really tricky and expensive to do it.

I've priced the service valve assembly and it's around £75 including postage, the person who fitted the aircon said it's going to cost around £250-300 to fit it and then recharge the system.

Is it worth my time and money getting it fixed, could it be done cheaper, or should I cut my losses and buy a new split unit?

Alternatively

Is it possible to use any other outside unit with my indoor unit? (my preferred option as it could be a lot cheaper)

I don't have a fortune as I'm disabled and not able to work unfortunately so the cheapest option is best for me.

The outdoor unit is Hitachi RAS25YH6
and the indoor unit is the RAC-25YH6

monkey spanners
17-02-2016, 08:23 PM
Where in the UK are you?

lew247
17-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Sorry, forgot to say I'm in Manchester

monkey spanners
17-02-2016, 08:57 PM
Bit far for me then!

From a legal and technical point of view, i don't agree on leaving it leaking, so the choice is replace the valve or replace the entire system, don't think it would be worth fitting a new outdoor unit assuming the rest of the system is secondhand. (but i have not seen the system or site so your guy might have a legitimate different point of view)

install monkey
17-02-2016, 09:02 PM
ptfe the caps and try not to run it on heating- cost saving measures from a fellow manc;)

nike123
17-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Skilled tehnician could easily change leaking O ring at that valve! Therefore no need for silver brazing. But still, you need refrigerant recovery work and work on that valve, Vacuum drying and refrigerant recharge to corret weight.

Valve cap is not designed to hold tight!

Northy303
19-02-2016, 10:54 AM
If it is the schrader valve on the outdoor then have you tried tightening it with a schrader key sometimes that gets it or like install monkey says ptfe tape. To fit a new one I think you can pump it down so you don't have reclaim and Recharge.

paddyaircon
19-02-2016, 05:59 PM
Im Manchester area if you need it looking at?Id suggest it can be repaired for much less than you've been quoted. The install guy you used,was he fully qualified ,as he should not have left a knowingly leaking system in commission.........?

subcoolfm
19-02-2016, 07:13 PM
PTFE TAPE!!!!!!!!!!

That's not a permanent fix for a leaking System

Shreider Key needed,
Buy a shreider valve for 99p and tighten it with the cap, its likely to be that.

If not silver solder the flare nut on.

thebigcheese
19-02-2016, 08:24 PM
You need a good engineer or at least one with abit of out of the box thinking

I'm assuming the leaking valve is a schyder so quick option would be to pump system down and replace schyder
Option 2, install an access t or equivalent over leaking schyder

joe-ice
19-02-2016, 10:49 PM
Doubt if its the shraeder valve as most installers these days would have the valve core removal tools to take the shraeders out while vacuming. The ones i have can be valved off to replace a shraeder if necessary. If its the spindle seal why not just put a teflon ring in with the cap to seal it up.

Tayters
20-02-2016, 12:51 AM
Service valve or the port the gauge line goes on?

If it's the valve then I would take off the cap, listen out for a hiss which is a sign of a leak, make sure the valve is wound all the way out (get an Allen key and turn it fully anticlockwise then a little nip further to seal), spray some bubble up leak spray, flob on it, fairy liquid, whatever is to hand (or mouth!) and check for bubbles. If it's tightened up and still leaking then there is nothing you can do but first off, put the cap back on and check if it leaks around that. If it does then PTFE as suggested might help, other wise some sort of seal but have to get the right size. Normally the cap provides a good seal. Worked on plenty of units that hiss when cap undone so don't be too down heartened.

If it is the Schrader valve (confirm with the aforementioned testing fluids) then as said try tightening it with a proper tool. Sometimes a quick prod in works but now the F Gas police will be after me...
If it is still leaking then welly up the cap with or without PTFE and test. If all else fails then as Joe says there is a tool you can get so the core can be replaced without any fuss or else need to pump it down, replace and vac out so that'd be a job for a pro.

Wind PTFE clockwise around the thread so when you put the cap on it goes the same way the cap is going.

You'd need the same model outdoor unit to get it to run or at least check with Hitachi for compatibility.
This link https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj6up7ihIXLAhWK2BoKHStJB7QQFggcMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hitachiaircon.com%2Fargws%2Fservlet%2FFileViewer%3FattachmentId%3D1586&usg=AFQjCNHzKjPnSbGB2Dr_-rK4VPTHFUhEUg&bvm=bv.114733917,d.ZWU should take you to a manual. Interesting read if you're into all that and different outdoor model number.

You can silver solder the cap but make it tricky to undo it again unless you heat it back up.

£250-300? Everyone has their price. If it was local to us then I worked out 200 max with VAT and you supply the part and assuming a new reclaim bottle, same refrigerant going back in and a couple of hours, full price and cheeky mark up on the reclaim bottle. In reality the bottle would be used for later jobs where the cost could be made up so price would be cheaper. Get a couple more quotes as without seeing it hard to say.

Good luck,
Andy.

install monkey
20-02-2016, 11:07 AM
most f ing helpful!:mad:
i think repair would be better option contact these guys "hyperlink removed"they will surely shed some light hope i have offered some help

danielreilly
09-03-2016, 01:19 PM
What will the be cost of repairing. Depending on the cost you can decide to replace or to repair.