PDA

View Full Version : Condenser failed!

nandoanalog
16-01-2016, 12:00 AM
A tube on a water cooled condenser failed. What I thought to be a 5 minute job, is turning into a challenge, to say the least.... No matter what, I can't heat the thing enough to braze, nor soft solder! Even with a cutting torch!
I'm thinking about plugging both ends with steel, and arc weld them! Feels silly....
Sugestions?

RANGER1
16-01-2016, 12:40 AM
Assuming tubes are expanded copper, usually you can use a tapered pin, hammer in, check for leaks,
or you can buy special tube expander roller to re-expand tube,
or drill out tube, tap in thread & screw in plug with thread sealant

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LsfRQGm4-Lc

http://www.tcwilson.com/heat_exchanger/tube_expander/

nandoanalog
16-01-2016, 06:05 AM
Assuming tubes are expanded copper, usually you can use a tapered pin, hammer in, check for leaks,
or you can buy special tube expander roller to re-expand tube,
or drill out tube, tap in thread & screw in plug with thread sealant

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LsfRQGm4-Lc

http://www.tcwilson.com/heat_exchanger/tube_expander/

The tube failed somewhere along it's length, not in any end.
I think I'll tap a thread, and screw in a plug. Hopefully it won't leak too much...

AlexG
16-01-2016, 07:46 AM
Close damaged tube in both ends by conical plugs. Use hummer but do it gently, don't destroy end plate.
Good luck.

Grizzly
16-01-2016, 10:20 AM
A Good Post Alex.
Thanks for taking the time to source a photo of a plug being used.
Most informative for those that do not Know.
And one of the options Ranger was advocating.

Grizzly

nandoanalog
16-01-2016, 12:21 PM
A Good Post Alex.
Thanks for taking the time to source a photo of a plug being used.
Most informative for those that do not Know.
And one of the options Ranger was advocating.

Grizzly

Indeed! A picture's worth....

Grizzly
16-01-2016, 06:03 PM
10 out of 10! For our Russian colleagues Input!
Grizzly

iwan_seltech
18-01-2016, 01:53 AM
Please do not heat-up or try to blaze or weld the tube sheet, as this will cause leakage to other pipes around that area.

Those condenser tubes were rolled and expanded to the tube sheet, heating up will loosen the joint.

nandoanalog
18-01-2016, 08:22 AM
Actually thinking I should do the job properly, and replace the tube instead!

RANGER1
18-01-2016, 08:32 PM
You may not be able to, as a lot of the time condensers have heat transfer fins on
tubes.
It can also start to be a project you were not looking for.
Plug it off is my advice.

PaulZ
20-01-2016, 12:42 AM
Hi nandoanalog
I am with Ranger on this one, I have used tapered pins and also tapped a thread but in both cases use some sort of sealer, leaklock or loctite.
Also iwan seltech makes a good point about not heating the end plates, as you have already done this you may want to check all the tubes for leaks after sealing the damaged tube.
Paul

Magoo
20-01-2016, 01:10 AM
Hi
totally agree with previous posters. Heating tube sheet will create a bigger project than you would imagine.
There are two piece brass plugs available for blanking tubes each end. You can reduce tube bundle by max 10% of what is installed without creating too many issues.
Replacing a condenser tube is not a big issue if you have the right tools. ( tools expensive though )
The condenser tube will be internally expanded at baffle plates as well .Better to blank off failed tube.

nandoanalog
20-01-2016, 05:14 AM
I ordered some plugs, and a tube expander roller tool to fix this one.
I'm still interested in at least learning how to retube condensers, as just yesterday I found out that nobody does that in my country! They'll just change the whole thing... The largest hvac supplier didn't even know what a tube expander roller was.
I've been watching some heat exchanger making videos, and some guys braze the tubes to the baffle plates! I wonder if a tube puller would pull a brazed tube???

nandoanalog
20-01-2016, 05:15 AM
BTW, many thanks to all the posters!!! I little help goes a long way!

nandoanalog
21-01-2016, 10:14 AM
You may not be able to, as a lot of the time condensers have heat transfer fins on
tubes.

The manufacturer confirms them fins... On a welded condenser.... No way around this one. It's either plugging, or a new one.
Which is making me want to install an air cooled one, as these tubes will probably fail again.

RANGER1
21-01-2016, 10:52 PM
The manufacturer confirms them fins... On a welded condenser.... No way around this one. It's either plugging, or a new one.
Which is making me want to install an air cooled one, as these tubes will probably fail again.

Depends on reason for failure if known, can run many years with plugged tube/s.
Air cooled good as well

nandoanalog
22-01-2016, 04:51 AM
Sea water!! That's why!

Kenneth199
05-02-2016, 07:27 PM
May i ask if the innstallation is on a ship or rig? they usual have ten times the max water flow through condenser :P

fessy
02-03-2016, 02:51 PM
whats the best way to go about a condenser full of seawater? get all the sea water out with vac pump, flush it with fresh water plug the tube and then vac it out then tripple evacuate with nitro?