PDA

View Full Version : Best putdown of 2015

Grizzly
04-01-2016, 04:32 PM
Hi Guys!
I am sure there have been others during the course of Last Year.
But one of the best fridgie reply's I know of, was when my friend and colleague advised a customer.
That He would be unable to complete his Commissioning of some newly installed Chillers.

Because they had not installed any weather-proof canopies as had been advised, due to the
exposed and extreme location of the Outdoor Chillers.
The customer themselves had queried the IP65 (Water tightness) of the supplied Chillers Historically.
Quote:-
" I cannot complete my checks as the rain and lack of cover make opening the electrical panels a Safety Issue!"
"Had you provided as asked some personnel cover I may have been able to continue?"

To which the indignant consultant replied. " I thought the Chillers were IP65 rated?"

reply...
"Yes They are, But I am not!!"

Brilliant!
I wish I had thought of it, because it is so relevant to an Engineers lot sometimes.
Grizzly

HVACRsaurus
04-01-2016, 09:33 PM
Ps, the IP65 rating would only apply whilst the cabinets are closed (wink)

Grizzly
04-01-2016, 10:12 PM
Ps, the IP65 rating would only apply whilst the cabinets are closed (wink)

I know my friend!
But the customer was being sarcastic, because "We had pointed that out when they first questioned what they had ordered and what they actually needed!
1 is cheaper than the other and to cost cut further the omitted the agreed canopies to provide some cover!

So the comment was all the more poignant!

Still relevant all the same is it not?
Grizzly

Magoo
05-01-2016, 02:50 AM
Hi Grizzly
good comment filed future reference, and all those packaged water chillers on top of hi rise buildings, once panels are opened are a death trap. The majority even in a plant room situation are a death trap once panels are opened, BUT labels say disconnect power supply before opening, the big out clause liability BS. Live buss bars everywhere, so how can we work on them safely beggars belief.
magoo

PaulZ
05-01-2016, 09:26 PM
Hi Grizzly
I like the reply I will do as Magoo suggests and file for later use.

Magoo
I know what you mean about a lot of these chiller boards. We put one in recently and there were live terminals everywhere, had to be extremely careful when checking current draws on condenser fans.
The trouble is a lot are not built to the same electrical standards as Aust and NZ and probably GB as well.

Regards
Paul