PDA

View Full Version : Inside compressor rusty

Aria
30-12-2015, 03:39 AM
Hello all,

Happy wednesday,

I want to discuss about compressor. In field, some of compressor were locked. after breakdown, inside of compressor was rusty/corrosion. After discuss with compressor maker, their explanation almost same, rusty is cause by some air/moisture inside of compressor.
But, i already try inject some water (5 gr - 10 gr) to the compressor, and running on high ambient temperature (43 C). after 5-6 month, breakdown the compressor, there is no rusty inside and compressor still running well.
Is there any specific condition that can make inside compressor rusty ?? as we know the POE oil is higroscopic.

i also attach some of picture.

mikeref
30-12-2015, 08:44 AM
Injecting water?
Your pictures show a lack of due care and basic Maintenance. Kits in this condition are beyond simply replacing a Compressor and drier. Oil in the pipework will be Acidic.:eek:

Aria
30-12-2015, 08:57 AM
Dear Mike,

yes, the oil becomes acidic. But what the source that can make oil compressor to be acidic ??
Injecting water just for simulate and see the effect water content to the oil performance.
hmm, is possible if acidic oil stimulated by compressor over heat ??

monkey spanners
30-12-2015, 01:42 PM
I've seen compressors that have suffered a burnt out motor where they go rusty very quickly as soon as any air gets to them, maybe a combination of air and moisture will make them go rusty quickly?

Brian_UK
30-12-2015, 02:34 PM
It is the addition of oxygen from the ingress of Air that will cause rusting such as your photos. Simple chemistry.