PDA

View Full Version : My Bike needs a new set of Boots!

Grizzly
20-12-2015, 03:23 PM
Calling all Bikers out there!
My Bike passed it's MOT yesterday, which made the absolute drenching I got worthwhile.
However the tester did explain (What I already knew) that both my front and rear tyres are barely legal.
The bike shop has quoted me for either Bridgestone BTU23 or Michelin Pilot R3 tyres front and rear.

I know a lot of the guys are bikers out there, has anyone got any idea which are better?
I ride for fun nowadays so track days are not on the agenda!

Any advise would be appreciated.
Grizzly

chemi-cool
20-12-2015, 04:52 PM
There is no better tire, tire should fit the way you way ride.

Every tire manufacturer has a label on the tire with important info, gas consumption, grip, sound and designed speed.

Myself I only use Continental tires, not expensive, saves me gas, decrease stopping distance and not too noisy.

Any tire salesman will praise what he sells regardless the quality.

Pick a few web sites of European tire manufacturers and choose whats good for you.

Grizzly
20-12-2015, 06:13 PM
You may be correct Chemi, only way back when I had a Yamaha that liked to drop away from me when in the wet.
It had Yokahama tyres if I remember correct?
In fact How could I forget being thrown off the bike because the front wheel had lifted whilst breaking in the wet.
And upon landing touched down on a wet raised Manhole lid the front wheel went from underneath me.
Leaving me on my arse with the bike in front of me, both sliding at about 45mph at an angle towards the curb.
With the bus shelter full of people in direct line with my bike and I, legging it out of the way.
As this was the main road at Hall Green (Mayfield road Junction) going into Birmingham. I was bricking myself as I slid along thinking "Now What the hell was Behind Me?"

I had ,had to brake suddenly to avoid the van that had shot out in front of me from the left.
Whilst braking the front wheel had hit a raised manhole. Resulting in the front (Twin Leading Shoe brakes) wheel to lock.

So back then where the tyres came from made a difference.

I suspect you are correct as to things nowadays, but I thought I would ask all the same.
Anyone else got an opinion?
Grizzly

The Viking
20-12-2015, 10:48 PM
Well, as always flavouring is a personal choice.

On my FJR (heavy 1300, mile eating machine) there will be Bridgestones but on my 900 Diversion (slightly lighter commuter) I do prefer the continentals.

A good starting point is probably to ask the same question on a msg board dedicated to owners of your bike, then you tend to get the 2 or 3 top choices for the model.

Another thing I found to be true here in Surrey, never buy tyres from the bike shops... A tyre shop will sell the same tyres much cheaper.

:cool:

Grizzly
20-12-2015, 10:53 PM
I think we are being invaded again Norseman!
Trips to Korea and to bute bikes!
I am jealous!

Thanks for the good advise all the same.
Grizzly

Tayters
20-12-2015, 10:54 PM
Not got a bike. On the front of the car I tried the cheapest tyre one side (Klieber) and an all singing Michelin on the other. I worked at a garage at the time so we got the tyres cost price. The whole exercise was to see which one wore the quickest. As I'm more inclined to drive like an old fart (so I'm told) I wasn't too bothered about handling etc, am happy in my own world plodding about.

Initially no pulling to one side, car was no noiser inside (Vauxhall Astra, X reg, still got it!). Fast forward a few years, tyres made their way to the back and both had worn the same amount. As the months/years went by the cheap one was fine, the Michelin started to perish on the tyre wall slightly. Days of working in a garage and getting cheap tyres now long gone so they ended up getting replaced with the cheapest I could find as the result was both wore the same and the speed I drive at made no difference to handling. Worn tyre wall possibly due to that one on the nearside so perhaps a bit of kerb rubbing helped it along?

If it is of any use a bloke I used to work with years back who now runs his own white metalling and classic car rebuilding service used to fit his own bike tyres. At the time he was a college teacher and worked from his shed so no tyre machine. He used tyre levers and never found the need to balance them.

Happy Crimbo!
Andy.

r.bartlett
21-12-2015, 08:30 AM
Avon deathmasters for those of a certain age.

Grizzly
21-12-2015, 06:49 PM
Avon deathmasters for those of a certain age.

I used to have a ribbed speedmaster on the front and a I think it was a K70? On the back of my 500 Triumph.
God! Tyres were Basic back then!
Grizzly

Magoo
22-12-2015, 01:41 AM
Hi Grizzly.
recall arsing off the odd Triumph, trophies and Bonnies. A seriously long time ago. Haven't sat on a bike since. I think it is called self preservation. Lately here there are these weird trike things two wheels in front one at the back. Still not tempted to go there.

Rob White
22-12-2015, 09:42 AM

I was always into off road Enduro's and road legal Motocrosses
so the limitation of my knowledge is the size of the knobbly you
want on the tire.

Why is a tire spelt with an I and tyres are spelt with a Y :D

Rob

chemi-cool
22-12-2015, 04:42 PM
Woops, sorry, my mistake, TYRE it is.

I can express myself in your language, can you do the same in mine?:cool:

Magoo
23-12-2015, 04:17 AM
Hi Chemi.
definitely Hebrew is out of my field, I have enough problems with English. And Arabic is way out there.
Have a great Christmas though from a Christian point of view, which I am.

monkey spanners
23-12-2015, 11:47 PM
Based on their van tyres, anything but michelin, had probably six of them go out of shape and wear oddly, we got the blame for pot holes etc but odd thing, non of the other makes before or since have had the same problem.

mikeref
24-12-2015, 09:01 AM
4 tyres on Asphalt can be a challenge if one were to choose a cheap or unknown brand. Been there and Bought the "T" Shirt.
Monkey Spanners...I use Dunlop 205 / 65 R15's...all year round.
Disclaimer: Have no idea how they perform in sub zero conditions.:off topic:

Quality
27-12-2015, 01:02 PM
Ive got the michelin pilot r3 on mine, they seem ok but just like you I only ride for pleasure

Grizzly
27-12-2015, 01:38 PM
Nice to hear from you my old friend.
Given your experience, your advise is valued.
Thanks for the Input.
Steve.

Rob White
27-12-2015, 05:44 PM
Woops, sorry, my mistake, TYRE it is.

I can express myself in your language, can you do the same in mine?:cool:

No, I'm not correcting you, Tire, tyre or tyres are spelt like that and
as for your language, I have no doubt you speak both language's better
than me.

I was just asking in general why we have tire, tyre and tyres, language
is funny, in any language.

:D

Rob

Frikkie
07-02-2016, 07:45 PM
I still have an old 650 Honda Transalp I use for riding around the farm and also locally but I fell off it last year and broke 3 ribs so my daughter took the keys to stop me riding it. Luckily I have spares that she didn't know about. I just replaced the tires with Heidenau K60's which are on/off road tires. They were quite expensive but I suppose everything is these days but they're the best tires I have ever used.

Thankfully we don't have to get our cars and bikes tested for roadworthyness, only when you change the person owning it.