PDA

View Full Version : Cruising for a Bruising.(Deviation I know, but those who drive may appreciate?)

Grizzly
17-12-2015, 04:25 PM
Details shall we say softened, as My superiors have been known to browse the forum.
Just to explain at my level within the Industry I can choose between a Estate Car or Van.

I have spacious and quick Mondeo Estate. Full of tools I may add.
Anyway I was cruising back from Redruth towards Taunton.
When about Launston (Cornwall and Devon Border - A30 dual carriageway), I met up with a bright Red Seat (BMW size).
He and I then spent probably the next 45 miles happily swapping place whilst allowing those around us to do whatever before we then shot off!
Suffice to say We may of slightly exceeded the speed limit!;)

Just as you bear left to join the M5 Northbound I am in front of him. On the inside lane and He is on the Outside.
When in front of me a pensioner decides he wants to swap lanes early.

Boxing me in, As I start to slow down. I signal to my new friend that I would like to come out.
By indicating with my Right indicators.
Red Seat behind Flashes me to come out dropping back as he does so!

Only He's not flashing Me with his Headlight, But the hidden blue lights in his front Grill!!!

Yes I had a cruise for 40 odd miles with an unmarked Police Car!
I calmly move back across into the middle and then inside lane of the Motorway.
Red Seat Driver cruises up alongside smiles and then is gone!
Made my Day and reinforces a theory My wife and I have that if driving sensibly and safely.
Our traffic Police will not Always Nick You! ( If you sometimes go over 70mph.)

My wife had a similar experience on the M5 late at night.
So I cannot say for all of our country but we do seem to have some fair Traffic police here in the South West!

Still smiling about it Now!
I guarantee for those of us that ride Motorbikes will have similar stories.
I have but that's for another Day!
Grizzly

charlie patt
17-12-2015, 08:53 PM
We do the ac on the forces cars a fair bit used to be volvos ford's now it's anything you go in the compound and it varies from a mini to a BMW x5 I bet ur heart lept when the blue lights went on of to penzance in morn so hope not to find a red vw group vechicle

Brian_UK
17-12-2015, 08:58 PM
Yes, it's good to have a sensible driver around sometimes it helps the journey go much easier.

He wanted to get home as well without any hassle, recognising a fellow fast driver who can help with that he simply tags along. If he wanted to book you he would have admit to a bit of speeding himself.

His goodbye on the M5 was the decent thing to do.

Grizzly
17-12-2015, 09:50 PM
Charlie,
My colleagues and I have clocked the unmarked X5's before, so Noted.
Yep. Brian.
It made me smile.
MY son mixes with a lot of the local Police and they say that the police forces now rotate their Unmarked Cars.
Just to keep us all guessing, or because we get used to which are which.
Grizzly

Rob White
18-12-2015, 12:42 PM

Cheers Griz, but I bet for a few seconds after you saw those blues your bum was twitching a bit... :D

I, on the other hand, have a newish vehicle and the satnav screams at me if I approach the speed limit.

At 10% under the speed limit she interupts the radio and tells me I'm speeding,
it's like have the ultimate backseat driver sat next to you and just like the Terminator
she never sleeps, she never rests.

:)

Regards

Rob

The Viking
19-12-2015, 02:40 AM
So Grizzly,

Do spill the beans, what bike(s) do you have in your garage then?

Going back to the OP,
I was once riding down the M4, just outside Bristol, on my FJR when the dreaded hidden blue lights appeared in my mirrors. At the time I was making fairly good progress, praying that it wasn't fast enough to loose my licence..

Yepp, had to sit in their back seat and watch the video... They had me doing 94mph (Pheww).
But then they rewound the video further to when we went through roadworks, showing me spot on 50 and helping car drivers changing lanes (even one that didn't indicate).
Great members of our Police force those two chaps, letting me of with a warning and some tales about bikers being scraped of the tarmac and them having to tell the families.

:cool:

Grizzly
19-12-2015, 03:05 AM
Hi Norseman.
Another that cannot sleep!
My Family last Year (significant Birthday!) bought me a Thunderace YZF100R, she is an old model just like me.
But never fails to put a smile on my face!
Booked in for an MOT this morning funnily enough!

You reinforce my theory that it's not all black and white with the traffic police!
Given the Number of fridgies in Vans ( I Know they are because there sign written).
I see hurtling around, there has to be some sort of code?

I know that the Bristol Police have an attitude test.
Which if positive or compliant, promotes a much better response from them.

"Kick Off!" and don't expect any leniency!
Grizzly

The Viking
19-12-2015, 11:02 AM
Not so much not being able to sleep Mr Bear, more like the "my body is still in the wrong timezone". :(
Just returned from a week at HQ in (South) Korea, so I'm sort of 9hrs ahead of where I should be.

:cool:

Grizzly
19-12-2015, 11:37 AM
WOW!
Some excuse!

chemi-cool
19-12-2015, 12:22 PM
You are just lucky you can talk to your police guys.
Down here to enter the force your education will not exceed 8 years in school,
They are always in pairs, one can read and the other can write....[hardly]

Absolutly f****g fun.