PDA

View Full Version : On call over christmas

Harry Trafford
16-12-2015, 08:32 PM
This is my frist year being asked to be on call over christmas, i dont really want to do it unless its worth while. Is it normal for companys to pay people to be on call and if so what is the norm in comparison to a weeks wadges. I think its to much to ask to get a full weeks pay but i think 50% is fair??
Any opinions on the matter?

jonjon
16-12-2015, 09:29 PM
Depends what it says on your contract had various rates at different firms

Harry Trafford
16-12-2015, 10:15 PM
Haven't got anything that covers this. He expects me to do it for nothing id say.

Tayters
17-12-2015, 12:25 AM
Last firm I was at we got £60 per week standby, £25 if called out, 1.5 eves and Saturday, double on Sunday.
Firm shut down over Christmas week so the guy on call got payed his holiday like the rest but could take an extra week off. Same as if your call out fell when there was a bank holiday, you could take the extra day so you didn't really lose out.
Supermarket firm before that we got £84 for Fri, Sat and Sun then £12 for each weekday evening. No Christmas shutdown but think we also got a day in lieu of working over bank holiday.

From that I'd say 50% a tad high (I know you Irish bunch command a high wage :-]) but there should have been some discussion during your interview or something in your contract. This might even be 'company expects you to be for work out of hours by prior arrangement'.

I'd say fair is £50-100 standby and time off in lieu. I take it you don't do standby as a normal part of the job with this firm?

Cheers, Andy.

monkey spanners
17-12-2015, 12:41 AM
We used to get nothing, just had to cover two days over the week, we had to sort it out between ourselves who did which days. We got the other days off not counted in our holiday, but would be expected to help out if needed and not drunk etc....

Now i work for myself i have to be on standby the whole time without earning a penny unless i get called out, infact i will be losing money as van payments and insurance don't stop for the holidays so don't think yourself too hard done by no mater what they offer you.

mikeref
17-12-2015, 08:59 AM
Haven't got anything that covers this. He expects me to do it for nothing id say.

Used to work for a Company that had a roster for on-call. one week/ Month. Same deal for the Sparky camp.
If my week on happened to cover Xmas, so be it. We were paid to be on call though it wouldn't cover the cost of a 750 ml bottle of Captain Morgan.:cool:

al
19-12-2015, 02:44 PM
Wouldn't normally be a premium paid Traff, part of normal roster etc, if your company hasn't done this before then by all means look for the extra.

Harry Trafford
19-12-2015, 06:50 PM
Must meet him monday and discuss money and what days as it will be me and his son in-law on call. This is the frist year ive been asked, his son in law has done it for nothing the last 5years.

chemi-cool
19-12-2015, 07:38 PM
If you are an employee and work at times like holidays, and weekends when all other workers are at home with their families or on a weekend vacation, you have to be very good payed for it!

I am sure it's different in every country and company but still a minimum of 150% on a weekend and 200% on holiday is only fair.

I charge 200% on weekends but refuse to answer a call on holiday.

Stand up for your rights Harry.

Harry Trafford
04-01-2016, 08:09 PM
Made it over christmas. We ended up doing 4days each over christmas and got €100 for our trouble. And getting double for the 5 hours work done on a call out.
Thanks for the info and happy new year.

Josip
06-01-2016, 03:25 PM
Hi, Harry :)

Must meet him monday and discuss money and what days as it will be me and his son in-law on call. This is the frist year ive been asked, his son in law has done it for nothing the last 5years.

For me above is not good ... none should work for nothing, it is not correct by all means ... I can help any time for free, for couple of hours or even whole day, but to work for free is not OK ...

Best regards, Josip :)