PDA

View Full Version : domestic Gas Fridge

luke888
26-11-2001, 03:00 AM
Does anyone know where I can get info on converting an electrical fridge to gas, as we are moving to where there is no power. (in Australia).

Thanks for your help.

Luke

MK Icetec
26-11-2001, 01:04 PM
Luke

I dont believe there is any method of this kind of conversion as they are both called fridges and both do the same job the 'internals' are totally different.

The type of fridge that runs off (Calor) gas is known as an Absorbtion fridge which gives the desired effect by means of an heating element which also can be 'powered' by 12V or 220-240V,
these power supplies are used to 'supply' heat via an element or pilot light that will cause the chemicals internally to 'mix,' this being the basics.

hope this helps

Mike

Abe
26-11-2001, 08:00 PM
Hi Luke.

What you need as Mike points out is an "absorption" type fridge. In Africa most are powered by paraffin or kerosene. A small tank of the stuff provides a flame which is strong enough to warm the refrigerant which is ammonia.

These type of fridges are available in South Africa, Im sure in Aussie as well. Alternatively consider a solar powered fridge. I was undertook a test of a solar powered freezer. It worked like a dream in Zimbabwe.

Theres a good one from the States. Go to Mr Solar. com He has details on this site of the USA version.

I once went fishing on the Zambesi. Mana Pools in Northern Zimbabwe. I took a gas powered absorption fridge with me. It kept all the bream and tiger fish fresh.

Good luck

Aiyub

subzero*psia
06-12-2001, 04:45 AM
This looks like a good place to start Luke....

KeepiKool (http://www.spinifex-creations.com.au/keepikool.htm)