PDA

View Full Version : looking for 3/8th charge port to 1/4th adapter

johansen
25-11-2015, 02:22 AM
I called yellowjacket and they do not make them with core depressors.

Right now my options are buying a 3/8th charging hose and splicing it onto a 1/4th inch charging hose.

The client has a gree 24K btu minisplit and i'm 90% certain it has 3/8th charge port fittings, that is what it says in the manual. however, the manual also says don't hook the 240vac up backwards otherwise the compressor will spin the wrong direction, so the manual may be lying and it really has a 5/16th male flare fitting (the service valve) with the shrader valve. (forgive me for using the wrong terminology)

Allegedly the most common size is 1/4th (which i have all the hardware for), and 5/16th for larger sizes.
i can buy a 5/16th to 1/4th adapter with core depressor.. these are available.

yellow jacket does have a 3/8th to 1/4th adapter, its pt no 19172, but it does NOT have a core depressor.. which seems to me the only reason they make this adapter is so you can use a 3/8th manifold on a 1/4th inch system.

surely someone else has run into this problem...

mikeref
25-11-2015, 08:35 AM
24K BTU running R22 has a 1/4 inch fitting. A/c's using R410A have a 5/16 fitting to suite R410a gauges and hoses.

Rtic
25-11-2015, 05:08 PM
Allegedly the most common size is 1/4th (which i have all the hardware for), and 5/16th for larger sizes.

I think you have this wrong. 5/16" access is used on r410a air conditioning systems, with other refrigerants on domestic and commercial systems using 1/4" access. I believe this was an idea the industry has when r410c first came out, to keep lower pressure refrigerants separate from r410.

I've never heard of 3/8 access on refrigeration or air conditioning systems, and almost guarantee that on your mini split system the access will be 5/16" if on r410, or 1/4" if on any other refrigerant. I would guess that the manual is referring to vacuuming the system; most air conditioning installation manuals will ask you to vacuum using a 3/8” hose.

If you "have all the hardware for" 1/4 "& not 5/16", and this system is on r410 then I would recommend you sidestep this job, and let someone with the right tools handle it.

johansen
26-11-2015, 12:14 AM
I think you have this wrong. 5/16" access is used on r410a air conditioning systems, with other refrigerants on domestic and commercial systems using 1/4" access. I believe this was an idea the industry has when r410c first came out, to keep lower pressure refrigerants separate from r410.

perhaps in the UK this is the case.

so far my boss and a friend of mine both have mitsubishi 12K btu minisplits and they used 1/4th hardware.

again, the manual says it uses 3/8th hardware, but as i said perhaps its lying. and i can make my own adapter with a lathe if i need to.. so have a nice day.

johansen
26-11-2015, 12:15 AM
24K BTU running R22 has a 1/4 inch fitting. A/c's using R410A have a 5/16 fitting to suite R410a gauges and hoses.
no one uses R-22 anymore and not all r-410a systems use 5/16th.

Grizzly
26-11-2015, 05:45 AM
Hi Johansen.
Please excuse a thick "Old School fridgie," but I am slightly confused by what you need?
As far as I see it, there are 2 types of service Valve.
Firstly the type usually found on smaller Kit with a Schraeder Valve in it.
or
Secondly as a port on a manufactured Valve with isolation,

All three sizes mentioned previously cam be found on 410a systems despite what was originally decided.
By Some it would appear! That 5/16 would be the norm for R410a systems.

However I have yet to come across a service valve of any type thathas a 3/8" port with a schraeder Valve in it!
Yes there are many Ac systems with Allen Key Plug style Isolation which can have a 3/8" port on them.

Usually found on the condensing unit, but I have not come across one with a valve in it.
The photos of a Gree Unit I am looking at does indeed have, what looks like a capped 3/8 sevice valve.

They are out there, but I doubt it has a valve in it?

Confused Grizzly

monkey spanners
26-11-2015, 10:55 AM
I have a crazy idea, why not see what actually fits on the charging port? Then you'd know what size it is.

Pretty much all the European sold R410A air con will have 5/16" ports. If it is indeed 3/8" and you can't easily source a fitting then braze a T into one of the lines and put a 1/4" shrader in it.

Magoo
27-11-2015, 05:04 AM
Hi
as per all previous comments 5/16' to 1/4' adapter fittings are redially available from wholesalers. Not exactly rocket science. Alternatively purchase an R 410 manifold set of gauges with a second mortgage.