PDA

View Full Version : True or an Old Wives Tale?

Grizzly
25-10-2015, 01:50 PM
Hi Guys.

Off topic I know!
But many like me, like to save money and do their bit for re-cycling. I have heard more than once over the Years.
That some enterprising Engineers had used waste Oil on their Fencing. With the comment that Old Oil from Ammonia plant was best?
As I have just finished a 35 metre fence and was struggling for a economic weatherproof coating to apply.

Well, several weeks ago I was oil draining a Spiral Freezer Ammonia plant. Being cheeky I asked the site / production Manager if I could scrounge some of the waste oil he was going to dispose of?
"No Problem, Help Yourself"

Using the premise that this was no longer a waste but to be a re-cycled product. I deemed it unnecessary to fill out a waste transfer note. I took a well sealed (I ventilated it first) 25ltr drum of Golden Brown Mineral Oil.

I had previously coated an offcut with this oil, so I knew that the rough cut tanalised absorbed the oil and dried vey quickly. It Starts off a dark brown colour. Which continues to lighten to a Light Golden Brown Colour.
It worked brilliantly! I am well chuffed with the results.
I Guess more modern synthetics would work also but they do absorb water. So mineral refrigeration oil seemed a better option.

The 25ltrs did 34.8 metres of fence the one side and approx. 18meters the other side. I finished off the few panels left on the inside. With some old air compressor oil I had been storing,( approx., 5 litres) you cannot see a difference!

Off topic I know guys, but how many like me had heard this before as a tale from the "old Boys"?
So 30 ltrs of stain at "God Knows" what cost? Or recycle a fully natural waste product?
Which most are only too happy to let you have.
I plan to do the same with the decking area I plan to build over the winter. Of course I will try a sample first but so far any wood that I have coated has had it's grain and appearance enhanced.
And Guess what! Water just runs off of it!

Happy Days!
Grizzly.

13915 Photos don't do the finish Justice but they will give you an idea. The concrete posts I covered with a medium Oak stain just to blend them in. I guess light Oak would of been a better match, but Hey! I had the Medium to hand.

chemi-cool
25-10-2015, 03:17 PM
All mineral oils are good for the job.
I have used mineral motor oil for my deck as i wanted it dark.
Looks good job. Let the wood soak as much as it can.

monkey spanners
25-10-2015, 03:58 PM
Suppose it works similar to Teak and Linseed oils. Old POE oil can develop a nasty smell so would not recommend it.

Nice job on the fencing!

Grizzly
25-10-2015, 05:03 PM
Wise words regarding the POE MS, There was a nice whiff of Ammonia at times, (thanks for the complement!) Lots of dog walkers etc passed comment, some even asking if I was a fencing contractor?
I will let you know how I get on with the decking Chemi, We could start an oil staining chart!
Grizzly

hyperion
25-10-2015, 05:09 PM
Grizzly,
You might have found another profitable occupation for all of your spare time!

Magoo
25-10-2015, 11:40 PM
Hi Grizzly
great looking fence project. Well done.
Cannot see why ammonia used oil will not last for ever as a timber sealer, the wiff of ammonia should keep all pests away. Re doing it on a regular basis would be even better.

Rob White
26-10-2015, 06:24 PM

I have never used it but my dad always used old fridge oil mixed with
used engine oil and creosote. He's gone now but his fences are still there.

Rob

Grizzly
26-10-2015, 06:46 PM
As far as I am aware Rob.
Creosote is no longer sold? I cannot get hold of Used engine oil.
But I can get hold of plenty of free fridge oil!
So Happy Days!
Grizzly