PDA

View Full Version : Oil in condenser water

roelescence
18-10-2015, 10:19 AM
Hi, please do help me diagnose this chiller.
The cond. entering water temp is high (88°F ) even though the tower is clean. The chiller controller says that oil analysis is recommended. I roamed around the chiller and I found oil leaks in the oil sump and its service valves so I tightened the valves. When I went up and check the cooling tower, I noticed that the water is brownish in color. I soaked my hands into the tower basin and the water is noticeably slippery. I suspected that there could be oil contamination on the tower water. But how could it be?

Glenn Moore
18-10-2015, 02:53 PM
Possible that the internal condenser tubes are leaking oil and refrigerant into the condenser water circuit. You need to drain the water from the unit and remove the condenser end covers. Then do a refrigerant leak test of the condenser tube bundle. This needs to be carried out before the system becomes contaminated with water as the refrigerant charge is lost to atmosphere.

roelescence
19-10-2015, 02:27 AM
So if refregerant runs out it is posible that the water migrates to compressor? temporarily Im not gonna run this chiller until the leaks are fixed.

Glenn Moore
19-10-2015, 09:24 PM
If the condenser tubes are leaking, once the refrigerant has leaked away then the water will get into the system , causing a lot of expensive damage to the machinery. So until you can check the condenser for leaks I would immediately drain the water side of the condenser to eliminate the possibility of contaminating the whole system with water. Its safer and less expensive to repair if the condenser is faulty.

Kenneth199
20-10-2015, 08:20 PM
Take a sample of the water and send it in for analysis? Is there any water treatment for the cooling tower? Is the water and pipings clean enough?

roelescence
23-10-2015, 04:36 AM
If the condenser tubes are leaking, once the refrigerant has leaked away then the water will get into the system , causing a lot of expensive damage to the machinery. So until you can check the condenser for leaks I would immediately drain the water side of the condenser to eliminate the possibility of contaminating the whole system with water. Its safer and less expensive to repair if the condenser is faulty.

Thank you sir, I'll take this action as soon as posible.

Kenneth199
23-10-2015, 06:45 PM
it sounds like dirty water to me, since your saying that the water is brown and slippery.
if it was oil in the water it would seperate from the water during standstill and float to the top.
Since its a water tower the water has free access to air, and it makes it easier for bacteries to grow.

roelescence
24-10-2015, 05:14 AM
it sounds like dirty water to me, since your saying that the water is brown and slippery.
if it was oil in the water it would seperate from the water during standstill and float to the top.
Since its a water tower the water has free access to air, and it makes it easier for bacteries to grow.

Could it be that the color is caused by the resin from the softener?

Glenn Moore
24-10-2015, 05:54 PM
The Amberlite resin in the softener will give color to the water only if the softener resin is new. If the softener has been in use, then the water should be clear from the softener.