PDA

View Full Version : Installation of blanking plates after compressor removal for service

RANGER1
01-10-2015, 09:29 PM
Just interested in some opinions when servicing a compressor.
If you for example removed a screw compressor (ammonia in most cases), would you source blanking plates to prevent any possible leakage?
I realize it's good practice, but I'm in the real world.

I see a lot of compressors serviced on this site in plant room on base.
How do you prevent possible stop valve leak in that case?

What if you serviced a reciprocating compressor, do you blank everything off?

Anyone had any bad experience to share?

josef
02-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Ranger Hi, good question, I work only with the flange of the separator and the intake valve, intake valve leaks ?? and the package is -40 ° C, is a disaster, you can not believe they do not come separator nothing wrong.

sterl
02-10-2015, 06:46 PM
We only install blind flanges if we are removing compressor and leaving site. That is: its going out for re-man and coming back 3-days later or similar....We would not put them on if we were present throughout the service process.

RANGER1
02-10-2015, 09:54 PM
Thanks, sounds like we have to lift our game a bit.
The trouble is we work with so many brands it's hard to keep up with how many of each flange you have to have & sizes.
If you left with client you would be disappointed when it came time to use them.
To date had no problems, but that's no real excuse.

Interesting what seems to be a UK thing, they service compressor on base, like Howdens etc.
If something happened there, not sure what you would do.

If you were overhauling a reciprocating machine & had crankshaft out for repair, what then.
No real way except special flanges for end housings, re-install heads & sidecovers?
Once again never have done it.

Tycho
05-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Since I mustly work with Howden, we have ton of he covers that comes with the compressors, so I use those to blank of the flanges and put plugs in the ermeto oil fittings.
not just for safety, but you never know if there is a "funny guy" from the shipyard who thinks it's cool to throw stuff into the open pipes :)

we have also made up a range of plates with elongated holes to make them fit most flanges