PDA

View Full Version : What Make Of Fridge Freezer?

Tayters
26-09-2015, 09:07 PM
Hi Folks.

Moving house, need a new unit as our present one is built in.

Just want something simple as possible, manual defrost, mechanical thermostat, no circuit boards, you know what I mean.
Any domestic gurus recommend anything in particular?
Mr Tonto reckoned "Get a Daewoo Lec, LG, Miele, Neff, Siemens, rest forget them" in a previous thread a few years back if this still stands?

Thanks in advance!
Andy.

Rtic
26-09-2015, 10:31 PM
Cost a tad more, but I would always opt for Miele. One of the last quality manufactures out there who manufacture stuff that actually lasts; most of my kitchen appliances are Miele including the f/f, which is 5 years old and has never let me down.

Been a while since I done any domestic repairs, but I can't remember having to repair a single Miele. Avoid Whirlpool, Samsung & Daewoo (seriously void Daewoo; Daewoo refrigerators use the smallest compressor they can get away with. I used to carry out guarantee repairs for Dixons, and I was replacing a compressor a week on Daewoo and Rebranded Daewoo refrigerators).

Rtic
26-09-2015, 10:36 PM
Also; if you want simplicity then you defiantly want to avoid LG, as their refrigerators are pack with technology! Good stuff though…….. unlike their A/Cs!

Tayters
29-09-2015, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the info.
Seems if you want simple you end up with a Indesit, Hotpoint, etc. Otherwise most stuff seems to have a circuit board of some type so guess I'll have to put my faith in it or an elliwell if it packs up!

I see Samsung (guess others also) are cracking out inverter units, it's the future which I'll have to one day embrace one day I suppose.

Cheers,
Andy.

monkey spanners
29-09-2015, 08:09 PM
Make one yourself! :D

Tayters
29-09-2015, 10:09 PM
Make one yourself! :D

Ha, put the Leatherman to good use!
W
ith my track record of getting things done around the house we'd be living off freeze dried food for the next 20 years although I'd like to think it would be worth the wait. :-)

mikeref
30-09-2015, 08:38 AM
Tayters. In my opinion, purchase an "All Fridge" and separate Freezer. The fridge only is likely to have a PCB, forced draft Evap and defrost heater. Haven't seen one with a Variable Frequency Drive....yet.
Chest Freezers down under are now R290 but totally controlled by a mechanical Thermostat.
Any Fridge/ Freezer combinations are PCB controlled and it doesn't take much to shut them down. Double trouble if a VFD is on board. :cool:

mikeref
30-09-2015, 09:01 AM
By the way, buying an expensive Fridge/Freezer ( Combination) does not mean you are immune to a component worth a Sixpence causing a complete shut down.

Tayters
30-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.

The deal has been struck. John Lewis slightly richer, Tayters a lot poorer. I did look at a separate combo but room and aesthetics were against us and really only room for a fridge/freezer nothing else.

The cheaper units with manual defrost had complaints about noise which seemed a bit hit and miss. A bit of a lottery as to how long they'll plod on although I think you'd be unlucky to get snags within a few years. New house is smallish and a bit open plan so in the end I've gone 180 degrees and got a Miele. Jeez, from one extreme to the other. :-)
Seemed the best I could do to get a long lasting unit and it looked pretty solid but as Mike says only takes something minor to fudge it.

Hey ho, we shall see. Top panel looks big enough for an Eliwell so nil desperandum.

Thanks again for the replies!
Points to be awarded when enough lurve has been spread.

Cheers,
Andy.

mikeref
01-10-2015, 09:05 AM
You should have 4 to 5 years without any problems Andy. Maybe extended some since you won't have the inconvenience of Gecko's, small frogs, suicidal field Mice, Locusts.....and the occasional Snake looking for a warm place to call home.:D
All the best. Mike.