PDA

View Full Version : Topping up r410a system with r290?

coldflow
24-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Hi guys, I recently installed a split system in my room and there was a very slight leak on one of my flare fittings. The indoor unit will freeze up which I believe means it's low on refrigerant.

I have a bottle of r290 and would like to know if will mix ok with r410a in larger quantities, I know r290 is added to help oil return but that's only a very small amount. I'm not sure how much to add but this unit basically cost me nothing to install, so I'm prepared to experiment with it by adding small amounts of r290 but only if it will mix ok and not cause problems.

Thanks

hyperion
24-09-2015, 12:15 PM
This is not recommended as you are introducing refrigeration grade propane into a system that is not designed for it.
The mixture could potentially become explosive under the wrong conditions.
Whilst you may have successfully installed the unit, if you do not have R410A to carry out the correct repair, it may be best to enlist the help of an engineer who has all of the correct equipment to carry out the work safely.

coldflow
24-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Thanks for your reply, I probably should just call in the AC guys to put in r410a and be done with it for good

piewie
30-09-2015, 01:01 PM
Buddy are you a an Australian qualified certified (ARCTIK) technician or just another plumber/electrician. Best you look for someone suitably qualified and look for the TICK. Which TAFE did you study at?