PDA

View Full Version : Ice machine nightmare

da ginge
10-09-2015, 08:13 PM
Here's a strange one got a foster ice machine which had a compressor down to earth replaced this weight in refrigerant and test run now trips out on high temp cut out switch replace switch still same fault now when we take the unit from site to bench test it it runs fine as soon as it's back on site it trips again as anyone else had this fault???

cadwaladr
10-09-2015, 09:23 PM
Condensor clean? airflow good did you fit a new condensor fan motor.

da ginge
10-09-2015, 09:34 PM
Yep Yeo and yep just don't understand it

cadwaladr
10-09-2015, 09:47 PM
Check the amperage draw on site,compared to the bench location maybe a supply problem which could have caused the original failure.

Magoo
10-09-2015, 09:48 PM
check power supply at the site under load, any voltage sagging will increase amp draw.

da ginge
11-09-2015, 07:14 AM
Thank you gents I always appreciate all of your help

charlie patt
11-09-2015, 09:42 PM
Another heat source around ice machine ie dishwasher another fridge or staff drying there tea towels on it I pressume it has a hp stub to check pressure ? Warm water going in to ice machine ? Working in a unit with plenty of air different kettle of fish when boxed in

Glenn Moore
11-09-2015, 09:47 PM
Hi
I suspect Cad & Magoo are correct in their thinking. I had a similar problem in a hotel in London where a twin Danfoss condensing unit was dropping the compressor relays in & out making the compressors rattle and bang and then trip. The contractor had replaced the complete unit to keep the Hotel management happy but it didn't solve the problem, as the replacement unit did exactly the same thing. I was then called in to sort the problem. When I arrived it was late in the afternoon and the staff canteen was empty apart from the head chef. I checked the unit and the voltage to the unit and all appeared correct, apart from a slight tweek of the expansion valve then left it running sweetly. The following morning the chef called me to say the machines were banging in & out again. I went back to the hotel and this time the staff canteen was packed with staff on their breaks. The compressors were certainly unhappy. When I put my meter on the power supply the voltage now was only 210 volts , then 203 volts , then 220 volts, then 193 volts. The volts were dropping so low as to bring the relay in and out on the compressors making them jump and bang. After checking the power source , the cable was a length of Pyro which not only fed the cold service counter unit , it also fed the coffee machines , Microwave ovens, 2 Hobs, a kettle etc. As these various bits were turned on and off the power could be seen to go up and down with the various loads being applied totally overloading the cable. An electrician was called who ran a complete new supply which solved the problem. An easy error to make, depending on the time of day!

slingblade
11-09-2015, 11:36 PM
Plumbed into a hot water supply on site?

slingblade
01-10-2015, 12:22 AM
i do not deny cadwaladr and magoo have had their own issues. Glenn Moore has also had a world of hurt.
My question stands, da ginge, did you plumb this machine into a hot tap ?

da ginge
01-10-2015, 12:55 PM
Nno was power source thanks lads