PDA

View Full Version : Type of Fish & freezing time chart

smpsmp45
08-09-2015, 08:14 AM
By any chance can I get a chart of type of fish & freezing time for the fish.

This is essentially for a blast freezer application.

chemi-cool
08-09-2015, 02:25 PM
its not the type of fish, its the mass.

what's heavier? 1 kg of Salmon or 1 kg of white shark?:D

Segei
10-09-2015, 12:05 AM
Actually it depends of fish type and how much fat it has. Long time ago I studied this issue and it isn't simple. What kind of equipment are you going to use for freezing?

smpsmp45
10-09-2015, 06:36 AM
We are making trolley freezers. But many a times, the clients want to know the time factor for variety of fish to be frozen. Though they are aware about the thickness / mass / water content etc are the factors causing the change in time factor, all are asking if we can prepare a chart showing a typical data on freeze time of a variety of fish.

And yes that shall be used only for thumb rule calculations for freeze time.

I could get some details though & shall share them once I prepare a report on that.

Still Typical Fish data is missing in that report & thought may be our forum can help.

mikeref
10-09-2015, 08:25 AM
Some information on this page. https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QFjAAahUKEwjdsJK99evHAhUjLKYKHeiIAW4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fao.org%2Fwairdocs%2Ftan%2Fx5936e%2Fx5936e01.htm&usg=AFQjCNFCf2RTUFrHtcflkVfbUEYqlsD1zQ

smpsmp45
11-09-2015, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the link.

Josip
11-09-2015, 07:27 AM
Hi, smpsmp45 :)

hope here you'll find something good too ...
http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/v3630e/v3630e00.htm

Best regards, Josip

smpsmp45
12-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Many thanks. It is useful no doubts

Sandro Baptista
15-09-2015, 04:20 PM
Actually it depends of fish type and how much fat it has. Long time ago I studied this issue and it isn't simple. What kind of equipment are you going to use for freezing?

Segei, you are completely right

Sandro Baptista
15-09-2015, 04:21 PM
its not the type of fish, its the mass.

what's heavier? 1 kg of Salmon or 1 kg of white shark?:D

Chemi, the weight is the same but I think the salmon has more % of fat...and the % of fat, %water, %protein, etc... all togeter have influence on the freezing time.

chemi-cool
15-09-2015, 05:23 PM
Chemi, the weight is the same but I think the salmon has more % of fat...and the % of fat, %water, %protein, etc... all togeter have influence on the freezing time.

totally agree but I think the differences are minor, all there is to do is to stick the temp sensor in a fish and let the blast freezer take its course.

Sandro Baptista
15-09-2015, 05:54 PM
totally agree but I think the differences are minor, all there is to do is to stick the temp sensor in a fish and let the blast freezer take its course.

okay, but the cooling + freezing time will be quite different between a highly fat fish and a lean one. Also the cooling power need will be different.

chemi-cool
15-09-2015, 06:22 PM
okay, but the cooling + freezing time will be quite different between a highly fat fish and a lean one. Also the cooling power need will be different.

can you give me example please?

Peter_1
16-09-2015, 10:17 PM
Freezing time is by far much more related to how good ventilation can interchange with the fish, what temperature you have in your blast freezer, how good the contact is with the trolley's, full plate trolleys or meshwire construction, guidance of the air, spacing between the fishs, ...Take water as product to be frozen and this will give you a safe but rough estimate.
Only practical test will tell you the exact freezing time of your product.

Peter_1
17-09-2015, 07:03 AM

Agree, because the specific heat of both is different.

Peter_1
17-09-2015, 07:04 AM
To add at my previous post: doubling capacity will not divide freezing time with 2. Capacity is one thing, making sure that this capacity can extract the heat out of your product is more difficult.

Sandro Baptista
17-09-2015, 09:14 AM
Agree, because the specific heat of both is different.

and also the latent heat and the thermal condutivity.

Sandro Baptista
17-09-2015, 09:18 AM
To add at my previous post: doubling capacity will not divide freezing time with 2. Capacity is one thing, making sure that this capacity can extract the heat out of your product is more difficult.

Total agree. For the same blast freezer or plate freezer the refrigeration capacity (kW) of the plant not only has to be the double as also the average evaporating temperature must be much lower so it can extract the heat at the double rate.