PDA

View Full Version : The Curse of the Smart Phone!

Grizzly
02-09-2015, 06:03 PM
Ok.

So my beef is not really with my Smart Phone, which is quite good company for this sad old git.
When working away and sat in some restaurant / eatery, waiting for my meal to arrive.

BUT. No bugger told me that the magnetic catch on it's flip top cover/ Wipes the magnetic strip on your Hotel key card. If you put both in the same pocket.
Twice in the last fortnight I ended returning to the reception to get my key card "reactivated"!

God knows what it does if you get it near your bank cards?
Grizzly

monkey spanners
02-09-2015, 10:09 PM
Technology conspires against us!

Magoo
03-09-2015, 12:59 AM
Hi Grizzly.
I had similar problem, the reception at Hotel thought i was crackers, my smart phone does not have a mag clip though. Probably the phone itself was frying swipe card for door. So what is phone doing to brain while using it is the big question ????.
magoo

Jeff Winsor
03-09-2015, 07:12 AM
At North Devon District Hospital it wiped my car parking ticket on 2 occasions and then you have to press button to get let out, but it still takes your money on return to car park>
Now leave it in car and have extra walk to pay on return but at least it then works!

Tycho
04-09-2015, 07:18 PM
I haven't had that problem, but the RFID reader had me paranoid until I mentioned it to a co-worker.

When traveling, I put my passport in the same pocket as my phone.
the phone goes *BING* and vibrates, I take it out of the pocket and see no notifications, so I put it back in my pocket and a few minutes later, same thing *BING/vibrate*
I must have checked my phone at least 20 times, until I was done with my passport an put it in my computer bag.

on the hotel key card thing, the most annoying is when I have a hotel booked for maybe a week, and then I have to extend my stay, that is when I get key card issues.

Go to the reception the day before the original departure and say that I have to extend for another week, they program my key card, then the day after the original departure it stops working... back to the reception and say that it doesn't work, receptionist asks "How long are you staying?" I say another 7 days, and after that, I'll have to program the key card every second day... :)
grrrrrrrr

HVACRsaurus
04-09-2015, 08:01 PM
I say another 7 days, and after that, I'll have to program the key card every second day... :)
grrrrrrrr

On the day of your original departure ask reception to issue you with a "new" Room Pass (& hand the old one back)

Rob White
04-09-2015, 10:28 PM

After spending more than half of the last six years living in various hotels,
mainly Premier Inn I can vouch for the fact that your smart phone will wipe
the key card.

It is also a fact that the further your room is away from the reception the
more frequent it occurs.

I learn the hard way to never put the phone and key card in the same pocket.

Rob

Grizzly
04-09-2015, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the input Guys!
It's nice to know it's not just me!
Mine was also a Premier Inn Rob.
I resorted to putting the key card away in my wallet in the end.
Parking tickets I have yet to experience an issue, Or should I say?
My beef there is with the charges.
Grizzly