PDA

View Full Version : Charging gas with recovery station ?

pvl
27-08-2015, 09:37 AM
Hi guys ( and girls ?)
I have a stupid question to ask ... Is it possible to use a recovery station for charging gas in a system ?
I await your answers...

RANGER1
27-08-2015, 11:34 AM
Pvl,
Well maybe, is system running or off.
It could transfer liquid quite easily, with system on or off.
What are you trying to achieve exactly , as many scenarios.

pvl
27-08-2015, 12:50 PM
nothing in particular. I was wondering because I had a problem where I did not have enough pressure in a cylinder and system off. Does it work well and do not risk damaging the station ?

chemi-cool
27-08-2015, 03:03 PM
Hi guys ( and girls ?)
I have a stupid question to ask ... Is it possible to use a recovery station for charging gas in a system ?
I await your answers...

there is a special heating blanket for refrigerant bottles. Ask your refrigerant supplier.

pvl
27-08-2015, 04:12 PM
there is a special heating blanket for refrigerant bottles. Ask your refrigerant supplier.
I know... I just want to know the possibilities of a station apart from its main function, it may be useful

monkey spanners
27-08-2015, 07:48 PM
Yes its possible, i have recovered refrigerant from a system to make repairs, then reversed the process to empty the recovery cylinder back into the system. You could charge new refrigerant the same way if needed.

Magoo
28-08-2015, 04:02 AM
System repairs after recovery then system should have been evacuated, before re-charging. So dump charge back into high side. Alternatively if your recovery unit handles liquid use it to recharge repaired system in liquid phase. No short cuts.

Glenn Moore
28-08-2015, 10:53 AM
If you recharge via your recovery unit always fit a solid core drier in the charging hose line to remove any moisture ,acid , debris etc that may be in the old refrigerant , then you know the refrigerant is in a reasonable state for the plant to work with, as you cannot be sure what condition the recovery unit is inside if it has been used on bad systems

cadwaladr
28-08-2015, 09:30 PM
Done it on car ac so it should work on anything

pvl
31-08-2015, 12:38 PM
thanks for your answers

Rob White
31-08-2015, 01:45 PM

Recovery machines don't care which way they push the refrigerant.
From the system to the cylinder or from the cylinder to the system,
makes no difference to the machine.

Just make sure you know whether it will pump liquid, if the machine is
less than 10 years old it should be capable of handling liquid. Make sure
weigh the refrigerant and follow Glens advice above about fitting a small
dryer in the line. For the cost of the dryer it is worth fitting one.

Rob

joe-ice
31-08-2015, 10:10 PM
Also be aware some machines cannot pump virgin gas .

Rob White
04-09-2015, 10:32 PM
Also be aware some machines cannot pump virgin gas .

Oh OK, why?

Rob

cadwaladr
05-09-2015, 12:38 AM
I don't know of a machine that cannot pump virgin gas? and the drier is a must in both directions it will slow the process down maybe,but only by so little time you would not notice it good advice Rob.

joe-ice
05-09-2015, 04:04 PM
I seen a machine few years ago that was ruined from virgin gas,It relied on the oil in the gas to help with lubrication.When pumping virgin gas it washed the bearings dry.Think the machine was a stinger and the guys were using it to decant big cylinders.Probably isnt an issue with newer machines.

chemi-cool
05-09-2015, 04:36 PM
I seen a machine few years ago that was ruined from virgin gas,It relied on the oil in the gas to help with lubrication.When pumping virgin gas it washed the bearings dry.Think the machine was a stinger and the guys were using it to decant big cylinders.Probably isnt an issue with newer machines.

Refrigerant doesn't get near any bearings, only pistons and 2 valves.
modern machines don't need any lubrication.

Rob White
05-09-2015, 09:45 PM

Ah now that is a valid point, but most new versions,
less than ten years old are all oil free running now.

It might have been an issue with the older machines
but I'm sure it's not an issue now.

I think :D

Rob

keapog
05-09-2015, 11:00 PM
I have a Refco recovery machine and it is oil free so does not harm by oil less refrigerant . But you have to be very carefull about what pressures the recovery unit can reach .

Peter_1
14-09-2015, 02:38 PM
check after recovering pressure versus temperature if no non-condensables were not evacuated together with the refrigerant. Seen it many times. in that case, recharge only liquid and let some liquid in the cilinder. The liquid then acts as a seal for the air because you then leave the not wanted air in the bottle.