PDA

View Full Version : Wine Chiller Help

kris_problem
27-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Hello, basically I have a wine chiller that id rather use for beer. The problem i have is that the wine chiller does only that "chills" and what i want is a nice cold beer out of it. I was just wondering (because i have no idea how these things work inside) if there is so way other than the little "red wine/white wine" knob, of making it colder? Thanx

phil68
27-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Hello, basically I have a wine chiller that id rather use for beer. The problem i have is that the wine chiller does only that "chills" and what i want is a nice cold beer out of it. I was just wondering (because i have no idea how these things work inside) if there is so way other than the little "red wine/white wine" knob, of making it colder? Thanx
I've a feeling that this is one of those peltier type wine coolers , in which case the absolute bottom temp. is 7 deg. C usually. Do you have any pics of the unit or at the very least make & model -that would be a big help.

NoNickName
27-04-2006, 06:12 PM
I keep beers in the fridge.

frank
27-04-2006, 07:35 PM
You could put a short circuit across the stat terminals and see what temperature it can achieve over, say 24 hours.

If the system can pull lower temps then you just need to replace the existing stat with a lower temp stat :)

Chillin4alivin
27-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Remember and put water inside the fridge to test instead of beer. What a nightmare if the beer froze!!!!!!!!

frank
27-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Remember and put water inside the fridge to test instead of beer. What a nightmare if the beer froze!!!!!!!!
Yeah - you'de have to hold it in both hands to defrost it while trying to suck the beer out :p

kris_problem
27-04-2006, 08:29 PM
and how would i got about doing this short circuit? could this damage it in anyway? its a quite expenive chiller for its size and that. will bypassing the thermostat make it go to its coldest possible temp?

frank
27-04-2006, 08:31 PM
and how would i got about doing this short circuit? could this damage it in anyway?
Not at all.

Switch the machine off and unplug it. Find the stat and join the 2 wires together. switch on and it will run forever :) (which is why I said leave it for 24 hours.)

After that you will know if it is cooling more than normal. If it isn't then it has other problems.

kris_problem
27-04-2006, 08:35 PM
its not a malfunction, it came like this, it just doesnt seem to get very cold at all. but like i say its a wine chiller not a fridge. its just its perfect size/style for what i want. just doesnt get the beers to that nice cold temp you want them at.

frank
27-04-2006, 08:43 PM
All fridges operate on thermostat control, i.e. when the controlled space temperature reaches the desired temp (or setpoint) the system switches off.

A thermostat is an electrical switch.

if you override the stat (switch) then the unit will not switch off and will continue to cool up to it's design maximum. if your unit get colder than the "normal" setting then it just requires a new lower temp stat, to allow it to control to lower temps.

By shorting the stat you will be testing it to see if it is capable of cooling to a lower temp (for beer)

kris_problem
27-04-2006, 08:45 PM
wikid mate. i'll give this a try either tomoro or saturday and let you know what happens.

frank
27-04-2006, 08:53 PM
I notice that you are only 18. if you are messing with 240V electrics - BE CAREFUL.

'nuff said

chillin out
27-04-2006, 10:21 PM
You didn't rob this off your parents did you?...LOL

Why not change your tipple?

Wine can be nice...sometimes..add a little vodka

Chillin:) :)

kris_problem
29-04-2006, 01:07 AM
ha nah, im nt stupid. do i need to disconect it and leave it for a number of hours? like do they have andthing high tension circuits like televions that i mite toutch and blow myself accross then room? its gotta be beer (and colder than it currently is).:D

kris_problem
29-04-2006, 01:06 PM
i have had it apart but have no idea what the stat looks like. any clues?

jamcool
29-04-2006, 01:34 PM
The Stat. is that device that controls the temperature of the wine chiller,so look for a little thing-a-ma-jig:D that might have numbers on it or maybe the worlds on-off or cool-cold:confused: at the back as was said there would be 2 wires link them together and then run.
Better still mate go hunt an old standing fridge thats working take out all the shelves and pact the baby with beer:) remember NO DRINKING AND DRIVING:mad:

kris_problem
29-04-2006, 02:14 PM
well, there was a knob on the outside that was labeled "red wine" and then u can turn it to the "white wine setting" which i am thinking is cool - cooler if u get me. i took the cooler's back off and on the underside of this knob (which is the only bit i cn think it is) it has a funny symbol with "s" kinda beiong the centre of it. was that it?

chillin out
29-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Does the knob "click" between the red and white?

If it does then there are 2 stats .

If it just rotates then that is the stat.

Pull the wires off the back of it and bobs your uncle.

p.s. what make is the compressor? (big black pot at the back)

It may be easier to link it out there.

Chillin:) :)

frank
29-04-2006, 05:30 PM
can you post a picture?

Andy
29-04-2006, 06:18 PM
The Stat. is that device that controls the temperature of the wine chiller,so look for a little thing-a-ma-jig:D that might have numbers on it or maybe the worlds on-off or cool-cold:confused: at the back as was said there would be 2 wires link them together and then run.
Better still mate go hunt an old standing fridge thats working take out all the shelves and pact the baby with beer:) remember NO DRINKING AND DRIVING:mad:

Yep can't understand why anyone would drink wine:eek:

Now Cider that is what he should be drinking, best Irish Cider, Magners:D

Kind Regards. Andy:)

frank
29-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Now Cider that is what he should be drinking, best Irish Cider, Magners

Hi Andy

Magners has only recently been pushed as a high profile drink over here. I like a nice cider but haven't yet tried Magners. Is it dry, medium, sweet - what?. myself i like the dry

Andy
30-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Hi Andy

Magners has only recently been pushed as a high profile drink over here. I like a nice cider but haven't yet tried Magners. Is it dry, medium, sweet - what?. myself i like the dry

Sorry Frank, not a dry Cider and not sickly sweet either:)

Nice woody/charcoal taste, must be off the barrels, best drank from the larger bottle, I have had some strange tastes from the cans;)

Nice drink:)

Kind Regards. Andy

P.S I hop to get back to the north of Spain shortly, Sider season with big barrels open in every pub:D