PDA

View Full Version : Censorship ???

eggs
26-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Is it just me or is there an unfair amount of censorship that goes on, on this web forum?
Certain self pro-claimed "experts" threads have gone missing in the past when they have succumbed to the fact, that, they are talking ****.
Also, when these members names are mentioned, the threads also disappear.
I think this forum is slowly turning into alt.havc.
correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm not sure it's an enjoyable place to hang out anymore.:(

cheers

eggs

Dan
26-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Any particulars, Egg? Marc left and demanded that all his posts be removed, by the way. Any others come to mind? I haven't noticed any instances. I hate censorship.

eggs
26-04-2006, 11:44 PM
well good evening Dan.

first and foremost, who mentioned "M~~c"?

But now you do mention him, yes come to think of it, i'm sure i mentioned his name recently and lo and behold the thread disappeared????

and not for the first time?????

i thought we signed up to a public forum, nothing slanderous, infering or implying any intrinsic or instrumental wrong doing.
Just a good humoured, helpful and insightful place for all of us with a passion for our industry to meet and chat and discuss.

It just seems there are some sour grapes at the moment.

cheers

eggs

Dan
27-04-2006, 01:30 AM
Hey, Eggs, it was Marc who took his posts off the site. I, for one, miss him and tried to talk him into remaining with the discussion group, but he has his ways and poof! in one fell swoop, his posts were reluctantly removed. It really happened all at once after a couple of weeks of discussion among the moderators. It might appear that it is a conspiracy, but trust me, it was not.

On the other hand, if you have any examples beyond Marc's disappearance, you certainly have my attention.

i thought we signed up to a public forum, nothing slanderous, infering or implying any intrinsic or instrumental wrong doing.
Just a good humoured, helpful and insightful place for all of us with a passion for our industry to meet and chat and discuss.

It just seems there are some sour grapes at the moment.

I couldn't agree more with your first two paragraphs. And if there are a few sour grapes, it just makes the wine better. I still feel that this is a good-humored, helpful and insightful place.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm not sure it's an enjoyable place to hang out anymore

I think it is an enjoyable place to hang out. Perhaps moreso since Dez has put the Google thing up. It is so wonderful to see members from so many other countries.

slingblade
27-04-2006, 06:48 PM
I also have noticed this, in fact on more than one occasion my posts/threads have mysteriously vanished. whilst on the other hand certain nameless individuals who chose to insult, slander and use profanity were seemingly getting away with murder {that's untill he removed them all himself, obviously}.

Peter_1
27-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Eggs, just read your post.

It is exactly as Dan told, Marc and only Marc wanted to leave the RE forum and he insisted that all his posts were removed at once.
Removing all the posts is the responsibility of Webram after he consults all the moderators.

No other posts has been removed by a moderator and if you think you can prove the opposite, let us know.

What has been removed the last days was the multiple postings of fridgetalk. But that was normal due to the countenance of the multiple posts (I think 5 times)

It's normally not done.

Removing a post seems not that difficult but before it's done, the moderators first has to come to some sort of an agreement before they do it.

This is a non-written agreement.

It's not because a moderator wants to remove a post that he will just hit the remove button.

And Slingblade, as you have noticed, those who dare to insult, slander...will always be banned after more than one warning, whoever he may be.

I think we all try to moderate as fair as possible and till today, this worked very well I suppose.
But, I'm always open for critics.

chillin out
27-04-2006, 09:59 PM
I have also noticed Slingblades posts getting deleted or edited even though other users were getting away with it, and it wasn't just Marc. there is another member that said nasty things to and about Slingblade but they were left there for at least a week untill a mod. eventually removed it.

Just an observation.

I personally think Slingblade is OK, he doesn't just blurt out nasty things and his posts are self moderated. He makes me (and a lot of others) laugh at the end of a hard day.

Signatures?!??!?

Every forum on the www allows them why not here?
Ok, maybe someone abused them but thats no reason to tar us all with the same brush.

Windge over.

Chillin:) :)

Andy
27-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Chillin:)

I have moved some posts, but only due to new forum sections have been created or the post was in the wrong place:)

I don't think any of the Mods would bother removing posts;)

Some posts may well have been lost in the upgrade, it happens:) it has happened in the past. I also hear some comments on the post counts, some people have lost there counts:) I had to change my user name once in the early days, so I lost all my posts, but thats life:)

Kind Regards. Andy:)

Brian_UK
27-04-2006, 10:29 PM
I also have noticed this, in fact on more than one occasion my posts/threads have mysteriously vanished. whilst on the other hand certain nameless individuals who chose to insult, slander and use profanity were seemingly getting away with murder {that's untill he removed them all himself, obviously}.OK then Slingblade, would you care to revise your avatar?

WebRam
28-04-2006, 08:21 AM
this site will not be another fridgeman

rules will be followed.

slingblade
28-04-2006, 07:44 PM
I personally think Slingblade is OK, he doesn't just blurt out nasty things and his posts are self moderated. He makes me (and a lot of others) laugh at the end of a hard day.

Signatures?!??!?

thats the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me.

OK then Slingblade, would you care to revise your avatar?

I'll have a mooch and see if i can find something buddy.

rules will be followed.

starting when?

eggs
28-04-2006, 08:25 PM
starting with this..

Again, I ask you to
substantiate your claims that posts are being removed. If moderators are deleting posts for the sake of it, I will investigate but I don’t work on someone thinking things are happening.

We have set rules on this site. If members don’t like it, they are as you said yourself, free to leave and go somewhere else.

obviously webram can not read.

goodbye.

slingblade
28-04-2006, 08:31 PM
starting with this..

obviously webram can not read.

goodbye.

Eggs has a point. on the rare occasion webram has deleted mine he has at least sent me a message of explanation. the ones deleted with no explanation i can only assume were the work of other people. members cannot do this, which only leaves mods.

I.E.-

I deleted you latest post.

The member was asking for help. Your post was not helpfull.

Hope you take the point.

Regards

Karl Hofmann
28-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Jesus Christ!

I thought it was just women who suffered from PMT

frank
28-04-2006, 09:00 PM
As a Mod I can, with certainty, say that I have never deleted one of Slingblades Posts.

Abe
28-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Hand on My heart I havent either.........
and Im only Moderator of Legal Business and before Domestic.......

PobodysNerfect
28-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Is it just me or is there an unfair amount of censorship that goes on, on this web forum?
Certain self pro-claimed "experts" threads have gone missing in the past when they have succumbed to the fact, that, they are talking ****.
Also, when these members names are mentioned, the threads also disappear.
I think this forum is slowly turning into alt.havc.
correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm not sure it's an enjoyable place to hang out anymore.

It's a little difficult to make sense of your post. Are your saying that alt.hvac is to censored to your liking, and you think this site will also become very censored. Alt.hvac certainly wasn't censored a lot when I frequented it years back.

As for eliminating all Marc's post (apparently at his request) I find a little unfair for the others members who participated in those threads. Marc contributed a lot to this forum and it is sad to see him leave, and even more so without an explanation.

I have also noticed Slingblades posts getting deleted or edited even though other users were getting away with it, and it wasn't just Marc. there is another member that said nasty things to and about Slingblade but they were left there for at least a week until a mod. eventually removed it.

Just an observation.

Have many of Slingblades been eliminated, I think not. Maybe there still a confusion between Slingblade / Bladesling etc.

As for the positive encouragement heaped upon Bladesling, I find it disturbing. Last time a member gave him some encouragement, the frequency of his jokes vent way up and in all different threads, as he apparently tried to recover from the days when you could see the tears of self-pity between the lines, as he was (unjustly) heckled.

Saludos,

Jan

wambat
28-04-2006, 10:28 PM

rules will be followed.
Does that mean I can be reinstated as my original name??? :rolleyes: :D

PobodysNerfect
28-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Does that mean I can be reinstated as my original name???

Why would you like to be that, your new look is so much better.

wambat
28-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Why would you like to be that, you neww look is so much better
Thanks , How did you know I had an attitude adjustment :cool:

wambat
28-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks , How did you know I had an attitude adjustment :cool:
Actually your my hero. :rolleyes:

frank
29-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Hey Wambat. :)

How come your age shows 26 ? - I thought that under your original member's name you were a retired lecturer :p

WebRam
29-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Eggs has a point. on the rare occasion webram has deleted mine he has at least sent me a message of explanation. the ones deleted with no explanation i can only assume were the work of other people. members cannot do this, which only leaves mods.

on the very rare occasion that posts are deleted by myself, I always PM the user to explain the deletion.

eggs might be miffed that when marc left and HE requested all his threads to be removed that one of his posts was caught up in that.

These things happen.

I tried to conduct a one to one with him but ......

Karl Hofmann
29-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Not too sure that I understand why anyone would want his posts removed if he cared enough to type them in the first place, sounds a little immature to me :mad:

chillin out
29-04-2006, 03:41 PM
It could be a case of...

"well if you don't play the game my way Im going home and Im taking my ball with me!!"

LOL

Chillin:) :)

Karl Hofmann
29-04-2006, 03:48 PM
I think that you could be right:rolleyes:

rbartlett
29-04-2006, 07:42 PM
be careful, conjecture isn't going to solve the riddle for those out of the loop.

All the mods know what happened -and why- but from what I saw in this case he was dragged into something by another mod which didn't actually involve him.

He asked for a resolution or at least a directive but it wasn't within his acceptable time frame. The person in charge felt he needed more time to ponder so an answer wasn't forthcoming and hence Marc left..

I wonder if any Mod is willing to give their version outside as this is an open sore which will fester if not lanced??????

cheers

richard

WebRam
29-04-2006, 07:54 PM
I wonder if any Mod is willing to give their version outside as this is an open sore which will fester if not lanced??????

LOL two moderators fell out. its good to see that, that is an open sore. Nice to hear from you Marc ;)

rbartlett
29-04-2006, 08:37 PM
LOL two moderators fell out. its good to see that, that is an open sore.

As you well know Marc spoke to me and showed me the posts from all concerned so I actually know pretty much what happened, who caused this spat by dragging Marc into an issue -which didn't even involve him- and who failed to take action to resolve it...

Nice to hear from you Marc ;)

I don't speak for Marc nor does he use my tag so what is this a reference too?

cheers

richard

slingblade
29-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Where do i start?

Jesus Christ!

I thought it was just women who suffered from PMT

Me to. LOL.

As a Mod I can, with certainty, say that I have never deleted one of Slingblades Posts.

thank you.

Hand on My heart I havent either.........
and Im only Moderator of Legal Business and before Domestic.......

thank you to.

Have many of Slingblades been eliminated, I think not. Maybe there still a confusion between Slingblade / Bladesling etc.

Some of mine have been removed.

As for the positive encouragement heaped upon Bladesling, I find it disturbing. Last time a member gave him some encouragement, the frequency of his jokes vent way up and in all different threads, as he apparently tried to recover from the days when you could see the tears of self-pity between the lines, as he was (unjustly) heckled

is this reference to me ?

Does that mean I can be reinstated as my original name???

Dont know, what was it?

on the very rare occasion that posts are deleted by myself, I always PM the user to explain the deletion.

eggs might be miffed that when marc left and HE requested all his threads to be removed that one of his posts was caught up in that.

These things happen.

I tried to conduct a one to one with him but ......

.....but he's gone. and the fact remains that posts vanish under both our noses it would seem Dez.

Peter_1
29-04-2006, 10:06 PM
....As you well know Marc spoke to me and showed me the posts from all concerned so I actually know pretty much what happened, who caused this spat by dragging Marc into an issue -which didn't even involve him- and who failed to take action to resolve it...

He asked for a resolution or at least a directive but it wasn't within his acceptable time frame. The person in charge felt he needed more time to ponder so an answer wasn't forthcoming and hence Marc left...

You have to see this in a much wider context Richard.
Besides what you saw - if all posts where shown - there were many PM's which you haven't seen.

Besides this, you personally see this from a complete different angle because you both work together or even for him - doesn't matter - and I think your vision is perhaps narrowed by this.

Which won't say at all that this is automatically a worse situation.

And you heard it from one source Richard. It's always dangerous trusting or believing on one source. You have to hear both sides in a discussion.
It's even stupid taking decisions after hearing only one source.
At least, that's my vision.

Making decisions is sometimes not so easy and in difficult situations, there's always one upset. You know this on the forehand.

wambat
29-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Hey Wambat. :)

How come your age shows 26 ? - I thought that under your original member's name you were a retired lecturer :p
Hi Frank, Actually I'm still teaching P.T. at a Community College and loving every minute of it. When I said I was 26 what I really ment was 62 :D : Gee and I thought Marc was only picking on me:rolleyes: Now I'm really depressed because nobody seemed to care when I was ejected:( :( although I'm sure you cared :) and I'm sure Richard was upset and most of the Gang:cool: :cool: Oh well as you can see I try to stay away from all the bickering, it's totally useless and i't doesn't advance our mutual situation in this wonderful profession. In my estimation, the only thing we should concern ourselves with is helping others. We need to let our egos take a vacation when we enter this forum:D

Dan
29-04-2006, 11:35 PM

I don't see it as an open sore. It is more of a case closed, let's move on scenario. Marc has other fish to fry and RE certainly is not a discussion group that hinges upon any single individual.

In my estimation, the only thing we should concern ourselves with is helping others. We need to let our egos take a vacation when we enter this forum

You have that perfectly right, Wambat. :)

PobodysNerfect
30-04-2006, 12:21 AM
Quote:

As for the positive encouragement heaped upon Bladesling, I find it disturbing. Last time a member gave him some encouragement, the frequency of his jokes vent way up and in all different threads, as he apparently tried to recover from the days when you could see the tears of self-pity between the lines, as he was (unjustly) heckled

is this reference to me ?

Yep, it seems that I mixed the names up. Bladesling/slingblade, a spoonerism. Obviously it should be Slingblade. Sorry for the confusion caused.

PobodysNerfect

PobodysNerfect
30-04-2006, 12:37 AM
And you heard it from one source Richard. It's always dangerous trusting or believing on one source. You have to hear both sides in a discussion.

Show us the other side then!

Today people like to tell you. They tell you that they are experienced, but don't show any experience. They tell you they are smart, but act foolish, they tell you to be tolerant, but don’t show tolerance, they tell you to trust them, but don’t show why they should be trusted.

I'm so old now, that when Peter_1 says there are another side to the story, I believe him when he shows the other side.

But I guess, that the other side is so clean-cut and transparent, that it is not worthwhile showing.

Saludos,

Jan

rbartlett
30-04-2006, 01:31 AM
You have to see this in a much wider context Richard.
Besides what you saw - if all posts where shown - there were many PM's which you haven't seen.

Besides this, you personally see this from a complete different angle because you both work together or even for him - doesn't matter - and I think your vision is perhaps narrowed by this.

Which won't say at all that this is automatically a worse situation.

Making decisions is sometimes not so easy and in difficult situations, there's always one upset. You know this on the forehand.

Marc's PC is in the office and I was reading pms with him and even a printed A4 sheet, so be careful with your assumptions.
I don't work for Marc we are in a partnership and as this forum can show i often take the opposite view on a lot of things so again your assumptions are wrong.

However in all honesty Peter i do find your post rather patronising ,condescending and insulting as it's directly aimed at me. I am not a child who needs guidance on rights and wrongs balanced views etc etc.

Richard

rbartlett
30-04-2006, 01:34 AM
and I'm sure Richard was upset

upset about what exactly ?????????

cheers

richard

Lc_shi
30-04-2006, 04:10 AM
I'd prefer to see and join a friendly and valuable discussion group. Everyone come and go here with their own reasons:).
The world is in chaos and wars never stop. An RE engineer's virtual heaven should be reached by us endeavour.Hope here it is...

best regards
LC

Peter_1
30-04-2006, 07:31 AM
Now I'm really depressed because nobody seemed to care when I was ejected.....We need to let our egos take a vacation when we enter this forum:D

Oh no??? I PM'ed you as far as I can remember.

Ego's take vacation??... I should say...be yourself

Karl Hofmann
30-04-2006, 09:32 AM
be careful, conjecture isn't going to solve the riddle for those out of the loop.

All the mods know what happened -and why- but from what I saw in this case he was dragged into something by another mod which didn't actually involve him.

He asked for a resolution or at least a directive but it wasn't within his acceptable time frame. The person in charge felt he needed more time to ponder so an answer wasn't forthcoming and hence Marc left..

cheers

richard

Well from the outside it does seem to be a battle of egos. The mods didn't jump when they were told to jump and so the man went home and took his ball with him.

I didn't know the man, and read very few of his posts, mainly because the few that I did read were of him letting "Lesser mortals" know how clever he is, perhaps it was his sense of humour that did not translate well and I failed to understand it, but this is how he came across. I am sure that to work with him is a very good experience indeed where his superior knowlage truly shines through

I am sure that a great many here will regret his decision to go but I am also sure that they will welcome new members to the forum, each one with a new experience and a tale to tell

slingblade
30-04-2006, 11:06 AM
The moment you turned up and started to take a pis* with Marc (one refrigeration genius) RE was getting boring and boring then you started to show how much English you know and how you gonna teach all of us ,that this is not our mother language.You behave like a kid .......listen my "friend" people like him are just a handful on this planet.I personally know him and I can tell you no matter how clever one is the refrigeration knowledge ,that he shows you simply something that cannot be learned only from the books this is a gift.And I think you personally couldn't stand him because you don't understand the refrigeration on that level of his or put it that way you both don't speak the same language
............c'mon man HE is waaaaaaaay to big for you.
The first time when i was standing in front of him and trying to catch what he was saying is the same like when you trying to catch a japanese slang in the deep province........please admit it you are NOT birds of a feather ........that is why you can't fly with him together
......and when you are feeling weak do not try to insult people.......and don't be a racist ........you can learn something from us eastern magic europeans as well...
and don't try to show you english knowledge..........we speak a couple of languages apart from you........:eek:

Given that you have never met me and have no idea who i am or what i do for a living it is clear that you cannot draw a conclusion as to the relative talents of myself and mr o'brien. you may well see him as some kind of refrigeration oracle who knows and sees all but i do not. it is you who are at fault here not me. i am more than just a joker on a bulletin board as im sure mr o'brien is also.i fear it is your respective lack of ability and skills which lead you to idolise this particular individual who i see as no more than a minor inconvienience to a fridge related website, a problem it seems, that has rectified itself.

Andy
01-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi:)

is there a problem guys:)

Kind Regards. Andy:)

aldematt57
29-10-2007, 12:09 AM
Hello to everyone. I haven't been here long and I wish to stay, so I'll do my best to be polite and respecful and try to appreciate human diversity.:)

I'm very happy to see that the site does allow for at least some disagreement with site moderators.

I am currently on a 10 day exile from another popular site for disagreeing with a site moderator in a manner even more respectful than I thought myself capable of.

This is a very nice site.

Best regards,

AL