PDA

View Full Version : Oil Riggs North Sea VS CRUISE CARIBBEAN

bompi
26-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Hello Again

Don't know if this is the right forum but I'm trying anyway.
I'm searching information and experiences when it comes to Jobs in the north sea.
as far as I know the oil companies doesn’t have they're own ref. engs. but they hiring from other companies, I have been trying to search out these companies with no luck. so if you know anything or anybody feel free to reply.

Also interested in info about contracts, good and bad experiences working on rigs/ platforms.

I'm currently working on one of RCCL's cruise ships where we are serving 5 x 5MW York turbine chillers ( 150 small and bigger fan units serving app. 100.000M2) and 10 Frick screw compressors. ( provision, technical cooling and one ICE RINK) plus a bunch of smaller equipment like Ice cubers, regular fridges, soda machines,

You're info and experiences would be much apprisiated

Have a nice

gregorm
29-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Hi Bompi,

You are right, most oil companies tend to use a refrigeration contractor when they have problems. I also spent ages looking for a job offshore as a fridgie, but could never find anything.

The closest thing would be to apply as an HVAC Technician, as they do employ HVAC Tech's. The best way is to apply with a contractor company that provide all different trades for the offshore industry.

I started working with a company called AMEC in the North Sea, contracted to a Marathon Oil platform, working as an HVAC Tech. It was mostly fans & dampers, but occasionaly they would have refrigeration problems in the Galley, then I would get a chance to do some fridge work. I am now offshore in Nigeria, still with Amec on the Bonga project, contracted to Shell. There is plenty fridge work out here, but again, they will only employ HVAC Techs.

Other companies to check out apart from Amec are Petrofac, KBR & Wood Group, to name a few.

Actual refrigeration companies carrying out service and repairs offshore include NSV (North Sea Ventilation) & DES (Direct Engineering Services). Just have a look on the net.

Hope this helps a bit.