PDA

View Full Version : Daikin 3 pipe VRV Blocked pipe

Kev The Tool
24-06-2015, 09:40 AM
Hi Guys,

Just like to run this by the Daikin experts out there. I was involved in a 3 pipe VRV install 2 years ago and i have received a service report from Daikin, stating that they had to replace a split reversing valve caused by a blockage in the equalizing line, their is a REYQ16PY, 12, and a 10 linked together. They have stated that this would not have been picked up during commissioning. I am of the opinion that it should have been picked up when the system was commissioned. Just for the record there was 3 other installers on site and one of them had left the stub closed on the equalising line and brazed the new pipe over the top. i have to reply to the builder this week so i thought i would get some input as to your thoughts on this. TIA
Kev

Kev The Tool
26-06-2015, 07:19 AM
anyone!!!:p

Martin Davies
26-06-2015, 07:11 PM
Hi Kev I wanted to respond but it's a tricky situation!

So Daikin commissioned the system? Is the builder someone you do a lot of work for? 2 years down the line it's obviously out of warranty? And so by now it's not unusual to have to change parts (whether it's worn or installation error) were you in charge of the 'engineer' who left the stub on?

Kev The Tool
27-06-2015, 01:31 AM
Hi Martin,

yeah Daikin commissioned the system, i was employed as a subby on day rate. i only spent 27 days on site and the job ran for nearly 12 months, i was not in charge of the other lads, there was a project manager there every day. I am only in the firing line cos everyone else involved with the job have moved on and i am still doing a few bits for the builder. The only reason i put this up is because i have been given a statement from Daikin stating that because the system was not operating with full load the blockage could not have been picked up. My argument is if you have 16 units on one system and put 50% on heating and 50% on cooling this would show up the blocked eq line, also i am now in Australia so this is not Daikin uk. (cant change my location)

The Viking
27-06-2015, 09:09 PM
When you say equalising line, I take it you are referring to the oil balancing pipe between the outdoor units, the line most likely not to be pressure tested nor vacuumed properly?

Hard thing to find a blockage in under any running conditions.

Unfortunately when one attend site to only carry out the commissioning one have to rely on all the other engineers who had their grubby hands on the system to have done a good job, following both the installation manuals and best engineering practices...
If you not are present during the whole installation process, how can you know that the engineers who installed it knew what they were doing? That they didn't leave plastic pipe caps in the pipework? That they did a proper pressure test of the whole system? That they had OFN in the pipes whilst they were brazing? Or, indeed, that they didn't do anything really stupid like leaving a blank stud intact with a larger bore pipe covering it?

Sorry, to me the commissioning engineer can never be held responsible for the sins of the installation engineer unless the two roles are filled by the same person.

:cool:

Kev The Tool
28-06-2015, 08:54 AM
Thanks for that Viking, I see your point but if im reading it correctly then i don't understand if the oil balancing pipe does not affect the system operation then how did the fact it is blocked cause the reversing valve to split open. Daikin say it split due to high pressure but surely if the commissioning guy had his gauges on during commissioning it would have always shown a higher than normal reading causing alarm bells to ring.

Martin Davies
28-06-2015, 09:35 AM
I'm assuming if the equalising line between condensers is blocked then eventually over time oil will build up somewhere and something will have to to give?

Kev The Tool
28-06-2015, 09:43 AM
This system has sat for 12 months post commissioning before being used as the office floor hadn't been leased.

Kev The Tool
28-06-2015, 09:53 AM
Just to put you all in the picture, i am only intriuged by this because since i have moved to Australia as an installer i only run the pipework from A to B i am not allowed to run the interconnect cable and they get a commissioning guy in to switch them on (which in some cases that is literally all they do) so coming from the UK where i would install and commission everything myself be it a split or a 3 pipe VRV, my skillset is taking a beating and when the oppurtunity arises to have a think about something it gets me thinking again. there were 3 other lads doing this job and installs are only warranted for 12 months so there are no implications involved it is just for my own personal satisfaction.
Thanks again guys

monkey spanners
28-06-2015, 10:39 AM
I can't see how an oil balancing line being blocked could make the reversing valve burst, have Daikin told you the series of events that would lead to this happening?

Kev The Tool
28-06-2015, 10:56 AM
all they have said is that due to the high running pressure of the system due to the blocked pipe has caused the valve to split, I dont understand how it a, never went out on hp or it wasn't picked up when the commissioning guy had his gauges on.

r.bartlett
28-06-2015, 09:26 PM
My despise for all things Daikin grows almost daily. :D