PDA

View Full Version : is r290 and hydrocarbons a accident waiting to happen

abp32
30-04-2015, 07:54 PM
having had a lucky escape today working on kit that cowboys had play with r290 does any one else worry about the safety issues for all of us working in a industry which lets pretty much anyone have a go as long as they have a fgas certificate

martinw58
30-04-2015, 08:37 PM
f gas dose not cover hydrocarbons need separate training and can not buy the gas without it

RANGER1
30-04-2015, 08:53 PM
having had a lucky escape today working on kit that cowboys had play with r290 does any one else worry about the safety issues for all of us working in a industry which lets pretty much anyone have a go as long as they have a fgas certificate

Yes, test systems that you do not have history of modifications as part of procedure.
If we have not worked on it before or some other company has worked on it, refrigerant is checked out before carrying out any work on it.
We use a gas monitor for this to tell what's in it.

cadwaladr
01-05-2015, 09:54 PM
The accidents have already happened and its for certain that more will in the future on, getting hold of refrigerants without the correct certification I for one have found companies that will supply must add I do!! Have the certs.

NB12
06-05-2015, 01:30 PM
Do you or any of your fridge engineer mates have a intrinsically safe recovery unit?, because I've never seen one yet.

RANGER1
06-05-2015, 09:17 PM
Do you or any of your fridge engineer mates have a intrinsically safe recovery unit?, because I've never seen one yet.

Heard from someone who did the course on domestic fridges & they use a burner ring as it is released & then purged with nitrogen.
Usually very small charges of refrigerant & not a controlled substance.
Bigger systems do not know.

jockfrost
18-05-2015, 10:49 PM
HC recovery machines are readily available, along with guides by various bodies on how to work safely

In the UK engineers must have completed a short course on safely working with HC refrigerants, see link below

https://www.feta.co.uk/uploaded_images/files/BRA%20Guide%20to%20Flammable%20Refrigerants%20-%20Issue%201%20-%20Oct%2012.pdf