PDA

View Full Version : Lost tools or had them stolen

Grizzly
25-04-2015, 07:40 PM
Hi Guys!
I know the above subject is like a red rag to a bull.
As I mentioned recently, I have been looking at an app called "Tile".

But I have only just watched the online demo.

https://www.thetileapp.com/how-it-works
I understood that this system (A Tile is approx. £20.00 in the U.K.)
Tracked a object that it was attached to or within, what I did not realise is that it discretely broadcasts to all tile user (If you log it as missing / stolen).
Just watch the link and see what you think?
Grizzly

chemi-cool
25-04-2015, 08:56 PM
Tile is a free [no money] on the android appstore.

hookster
25-04-2015, 09:43 PM
The only issue is bluetooth transmits on low power about 1milliwatt and has a 10m range. Therefore you will need a very complete buddy network to cover a very large area of tile searches.

But I guess most of our tools end up in a buddies van :p

Grizzly
26-04-2015, 08:02 AM
The only issue is bluetooth transmits on low power about 1milliwatt and has a 10m range. Therefore you will need a very complete buddy network to cover a very large area of tile searches.

But I guess most of our tools end up in a buddies van :p

Always with the negative!
What do you want for less than a round of drinks down the pub. For a tile at £20.00 and a free app the time looking for those misplaced keys etc. Surely makes it a worthwhile and inexpensive app with lots of promise?

Google and Facebook etc all started small.
I for one think it is a clever idea.
Incidentally 10m is a large area when you move around looking for something certainly in my shed or house.

Pinpointing something within 10 meters of me would be a big help.
I just thought some might find it useful. That's all!
Grizzly

hookster
26-04-2015, 06:14 PM
not really I just don't believe sales bumf and read up on technology to ensure I have an informed opinion.
You were advocating the use of the tiles for a tool tracking system, I just wanted to understand the practicality of the use for that purpose.

I looked for some data sheet on the tiles but web site did not have one I could find. I just wanted to find out on the battery life and if they could be replaced.
The web site states a year life span then they will assist with recycling so I guess replacement is a no.

al
26-04-2015, 08:25 PM
They've been around a good while which is a good sign, initially developed i think to help companies track laptops, given how many mobiles are in use and that like rats we're never more than a few meters from a mobile it has huge merit, hilti and bosch have built trakers into their more expensive drills (afaik), so yep, i can see it or something similar working, thanks Grizz.