PDA

View Full Version : Fitting drier to receiver

Contactor
15-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Dear Friends

Can anyone give me a good reason why a filter drier cannot be fitted directly to the receiver liquid discharge or very close to it at low level.

Thanks

chemi-cool
15-04-2015, 08:11 PM
The filter\drier should be on the liquid line before the sight glass and SV.
It should be connected so it will be comfortable to replace it when necessary.
If you want to fit it directly on the receiver, I don't see any reason why not.

Grizzly
15-04-2015, 09:45 PM
Hi Contactor
As close as possible with isolation valves either side yes!
Otherwise you have a receiver full of liquid to deal with?
So as long as you have an isolation valve before the filter, "Why Not!"
In some instances and dependant upon the system design a bypass pipe or second filter is useful to allow
Filter changes without plant shutdown?
Grizzly

Contactor
17-04-2015, 11:16 PM
Thank you some good points there. I wondered about the accumulation of excess oil has anyone come across that as a problem before? I don't remember seeing a drier in that location before.

chilliwilly
17-04-2015, 11:27 PM
I was once told never to fit them in an upward orientation (flow arrow up), but only in the downward orientation from the reciever (flow arrow down). When fitted in an upward orientation the liquid can expand and cause unwanted bubbles, especially if its an oversized dryer.

chemi-cool
18-04-2015, 09:01 AM
the liquid can expand .

Nope, liquid can not expand, only gas.

mikeref
18-04-2015, 09:44 AM
Fitting the drier in a down flow direction ensures an even distribution of liquid, and full use of your drier. Driers fitted horizontally in say a suspected contaminated system... might have the lower half of your drier doing all the work and causing a pressure drop.

Some of the OZ imported kits have the drier fitted horizontally after the Receiver.
Either way, on a new Cold-room or a Freezer room install, i fit a Suction line drier.

BTW, my comment has bugger all to do with Liquid line Drier location.

chilliwilly
18-04-2015, 10:49 PM
Yet the reciever contains liquid and gas?

chilliwilly
18-04-2015, 10:51 PM
Nope, liquid can not expand, only gas.

Yet the reciever contains liquid and gas?