PDA

View Full Version : cellar cooling query

sean1
23-03-2015, 03:48 PM
hello guys,
can anyone tell me if its possible to have 1 condensing unit run 2 seperate cellar coldrooms and if so how would you go about sizing / matching units please .

monkey spanners
23-03-2015, 06:29 PM
Nothing is impossible, it would depend on the reasons for only having one condensing unit as to the route i'd chose.

Why just the one outdoor unit?

I'd get the rooms cooling duty worked out first, and see how evenly they are matched.

sean1
23-03-2015, 08:19 PM
Nothing is impossible, it would depend on the reasons for only having one condensing unit as to the route i'd chose.

Why just the one outdoor unit?

I'd get the rooms cooling duty worked out first, and see how evenly they are matched.

Thanks monkey
it was a customer who had a friend in the trade and advised him to have a thermostat in each room controlling each evaporator .
I visited site today and he can use a master / slave setup it's 2 room side by side connected by a opening the size of a doorway.
the 2 rooms are the same size same loading

sean1
23-03-2015, 08:20 PM
Sorry the friend in the TRADE advised him 1 condensing unit would be cheaper

chemi-cool
23-03-2015, 08:25 PM
In that case, you can have one liquid line with one sv feeding two evaporators.
One thermostat will do as the rooms are connected.

Just remember that every problem with the condensing unit will disable the two rooms.

sean1
23-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Thanks chemi
Yes I explained the setup to him
I was going to use a off the shelf beer master system unless you know of a decent system that can do it as beer masters are expensive for what they are?

chemi-cool
23-03-2015, 08:47 PM
I use emerson [copeland] condensing units and alfa laval evaporators but you will have to check what's available on your market.

monkey spanners
23-03-2015, 08:56 PM
Have a look at the J&E Hall cellar systems, they are very reasonably priced.

http://www.jehall.com/products/commercial/jcc-cellar-coolers/

and

http://www.jehall.com/products/commercial/twin-cellar-coolers/

Glenn Moore
23-03-2015, 09:49 PM
Hi Sean1
Go to Climate Centre or Dean & Wood and ask them to size the kit for you .
They both have selection programmes which is for their customers use, and can be downloaded to your PC.
I would recommend a variable speed unit there are several available which can match both room duties or slow down to run just one unit. If you use a fix speed unit you will get LP problems when running on only one room cooler

r.bartlett
23-03-2015, 10:54 PM
size the condenser to the total load.

sol valve in each room controlled by a stat.
compressor on pump down.
make sure you have a compressor delay relay as it will short cycle,

very easy we did a run of undercounter fridges by this method.

Andy W
24-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Loads of old cellars had 2 evaporators (in seperate rooms) and 1 condensing unit, control was always done by 1 thermostat in the critical part of the cellar, usually the traditional beer barrel side or in the connecting passage way to both rooms if no curtains fitted in between the rooms, beer masters had a solenoid valve built in to the evaps so controlled independently on pump down.

Depending on the size of the rooms, in may work out just as cheap to install a couple of J & E hall cellar systems, I installed the smallest one in the range last week and it was surprisingly cheap, I would avoid Qualatair cellar systems, I have had many problems with them.