PDA

View Full Version : Car ac fgas regs?

cool hand fluke
16-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Afternoon people's.

Am I leagaly alowed to work on car ac system, ie reclaim , leak check, charge.
I am alway being asked if I could "av a look" a friends and family's cars.
surly my 2079 will cover me or would I have to take a transport test aswel?
Thanks
Bryan

Ps how can dodgy back street garages advertise "ac top ups for £30 ect"?
If I advertised "walk in freezer top ups" I'm sure the enviroment agency would have a few strong words with me?

CraigF
16-03-2015, 06:33 PM
Hi,

I asked a college lecturer this who teaches the FGas course, he said I could, as what I did entitled me to work on any system.

cool hand fluke
17-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Thanks Craig, it seems a bit of a grey area.
I was just thinking of taking up the offers when asked and earn a bit of pocket money.

BradC
18-03-2015, 03:41 AM
Can I just say that if you are going to do cars, make sure you thoroughly clean out your recovery machine afterwards. The PAG oil they use in Automotive 134a systems is bloody horrid and the dye gets _everywhere_.

The best way I've found to clean things out is a rinse with liquid butane. It's cheap too. I just use an old R12 can tap (the ones that puncture the side of the can) with camping gas cans. Cleans all the oil out of the recovery unit, gauges and hoses.

Another cheap way to do it that does not require the use of a recovery unit is to get a small cylinder and pack it in dry-ice. That will remove _all_ the refrigerant from the vehicle without needing to use the recovery machine. Then you only have the one hose to de-contaminate.

I don't like PAG oil...

Robertnorwood
20-03-2015, 05:02 AM
Instead of using liquid butane, getting a cylinder and pack it in dry ice is the better option according to me. Still get more ideas here (http://www.airdexinc.com).