PDA

View Full Version : Supermarket refrigeration training

Deejey
24-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Here in Tasmania or as most aussies refer to it...Tassie we are setting up a specific supermarket training area for apprentices. With no money available from the Govt. I've had to scrounged most of the equipment. Danfoss have been kind enough to donate a brand new AKA65 control system and I have managed to get Woolworths Supermarket chain to donate cabinets and rack from a retrofit in a local store. Up till now we have had very little commercial equipment to train apprentices on. So it has been rather difficult to provide adequate hands-on skills. But I intend to change all of that and give these up & coming fridgies some current technology to get their hands dirty on. Believe it or not they have been using some really old single cylinder coldstream compressors to learn the basics. We even have an old low side float SO2 system still operating. I cut my teeth on SO2 back in 1955 when I started my apprenticeship. We even have an old IcyBall unit..

Peter_1
24-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Deejey,
Glad you're posting again.
Can you post some pictures of the SO2 compressor?
I said it already in other posts... we can learn so many from you, the ...ahumm...with all respects...older techs amongst us.;)

US Iceman
24-04-2006, 08:20 PM
SO2 systems, huh? Boy does that bring back some unpleasant memories!:D

While I have not been lucky enough to work on these systems I have had the pleasure of smelling it in first hand experience.

Or should I say, first nose experience. I'll NEVER forget that afternoon.

Part of my training from my grandfather.:cool:

Deejey
25-04-2006, 12:56 AM
Deejey,
we can learn so many from you, the ...ahumm...with all respects...older techs amongst us.

Thanks Peter...but instead of "Older"...just lets say substantially senior :D

Deejey
25-04-2006, 01:11 AM
During the gooold sulphur dioxide days we used to fill the cylinders by volume. There was glass tube attached to the main cylinder by which we could watch the level of the liquid. One day there appeared to be bubbles in it so I tapped it with the side of my adjustable wrench...and it shattered...100lbs of SO2 filled the workshop, cleared out the ice cream factory and closed the street.. I was very popular that day..my only claim to fame

US Iceman
25-04-2006, 04:08 AM
Hi Deejay,

I was very popular that day

I can imagine that would do it. :D

I have seen a lot of old ammonia systems using a similar level indicator on high pressure receivers. Nothing to protect the glass except three or four little metals rods which hold the whole thing together.

Anytime I see one of these I always look for the door.

Just in case you understand.