PDA

View Full Version : Digital Analyzers

HVACGod
24-04-2006, 01:55 AM
Looking at a couple instrument investment options, and specifically interested in other RE brothers opinions on the instruments. (1) Honeywell Service Assistant, (2) Digi-Cool Digital Analyzers and (3) Testo refrigerant circuit analyzers. I am particularly interested in the data logging capabilities of these instruments as well as application versatility. All three are relatively new with respect to both availability as well as marketing here in the States, was wondering if other areas of the world were familiar with any of the three. The Testo and Honeywell I have had relatively little trouble locating distributors for, the Digi-Cool, which I think is based in Canada is a little more elusive, which gives rise to concern with respect to warranty issues...should they arise. What personal input I am able to extract, exclusive of the internet seems to be somewhat apprehensive about any of the three. In my opinion, that is likely a result of the piss poor performance provided by a similar set of digitals marketed by Tif some....12-15 years ago at any rate I digress...I would appreciate any first hand input my trade brothers can provide. Respectfully,
TDB aka ~Service F1rst~

NoNickName
24-04-2006, 07:19 AM
We've got a set of Testo 560.
There are two issues with that: the temperature sensors keep breaking, because of poor weldings on the connectors. We've already replace 4 in warranty in just 4 months.
The second issue is the battery lasting, which is just slightly above 2 hours. We are using rechargeable 9V batteries.

frank
24-04-2006, 12:59 PM
With the Testo, do you find that the different type oils, i.e. cross contamination, to be a problem?

It was the first thing I thought of when the Rep tried to sell us one.

When R407C and R410A came on the market in the UK we were advised to buy new tools, vac pump, gauges etc to prevent cross contemination of the oils.

NoNickName
24-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Oil is not contaminating the manifold. It can't unless recovering is done via the set, which is unlikely.
We only use it for measuring and charging, not reclaiming.
As such, oil can't contaminate the set.

rbartlett
24-04-2006, 01:53 PM
When R407C and R410A came on the market in the UK we were advised to buy new tools, vac pump, gauges etc to prevent cross contemination of the oils.

Yes but you're not silly enough to fall for that bs though were you??

cheers

richard

frank
24-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Yes but you're not silly enough to fall for that bs though were you??

cheers

richard

:o Guess so - but only the gauges

Peter_1
24-04-2006, 05:52 PM
They said the same when R12 and R502 was replace with R404a, R134a.
We then bought new manifolds because the scales didn't fit any longer.

Brian_UK
24-04-2006, 07:39 PM
I haven't used any digi sets yet but my thoughts would be similar to using digital multimeters.....

The advantage of analogue (dial) guages is the fact that you can easily see a 'trend' if pressures are pulsing for whatever reason.

HVACGod
24-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies, appreciate all of them. As far as cross contamination of lubricants and using dedicated equipment....when Carrier first introduced Puron (R410A-AZ20) we were advised that linesets had to be replaced, without exception during a changeout or upgrade procedure, now they have relaxed that mandate. It is obviously imperative to remove the existing lubricant (mineral oil) from the lineset prior to the introduction of R-410A and the POE lube. We were originally advised that designated gauges, recovery equipment and so forth were required to administor any service procedure(s) with respect to a Puron system. Obviously given the increased operating pressures of 410A, many conventional gauge sets were not adequately scaled to begin with. Now with the introduction of the Yellow Jacket Titans (those designated for use with R-22, R-410A and a third refrigerant) Carrier has again backed off their original decree and will allow the use of equipment and instruments that are designed to include R410A as well as other "non-compatible" refrigerants, so I don't really, nor for that matter did I ever percieve cross contamination a big factor ...particularly when best service practices are observed. NoNick Name thanks for the operational insight on the Testo...beneficial considerations. Brian just wanted to briefly touch on your reply....trending is not only, if their is any truth to their advertisments, more accurately evaluated with at least the Digi-Cool's but also documented for entry into equipment history records. Of course the Digi-Cool models I think or at least as closely as I am able to determine from the net, have a stripped model for about $700.00 and all the way up to nearly $1400.00 (US $).

MechAcc
11-06-2006, 06:57 PM
I got the Testo 523 last October and think it's great. Support has been great John Figan, Testo Rep, even sent me temperature sensor that replaced the original flat ribbon style cable. Superheat and subcooling measurements have never been easier.

mcjo tech
17-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Both the Testo and Digi-cool meters are good but costly. The ExactCharge Calculator is capable of more functions and cost is far less. The service technician uses tools such as guages and temperature meters they already own. Cost of this software is 79.00 USD. and a palm that will run software is a Zire 22 Palm PDA that can be purchased for around 100.00 USD making its entire cost of 179.00 and you also have a good PDAfor other uses. I am creator of this software and would like to hear your input.

exactcharge.com

Joe

ExactCharge Industries Inc.

get the gauges
02-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Never got a price for either make or a good supplier,thanks for everything.