PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! How Do I Convert OFN from Litres into Kilograms?

Wookey
18-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Hi, I'm trying to understand about refrigeration and a need to know what 1 litre of Oxygen Free Nitrogen (OFN) is in kilograms?

marc5180
18-02-2015, 11:36 AM
Hi, I'm trying to understand about refrigeration and a need to know what 1 litre of Oxygen Free Nitrogen (OFN) is in kilograms?

Can I ask why you need to know this? This is more chemistry than refrigeration.

However using the ideal gas law, PV=nRT and then rearranging to find the moles of gas: n = PV/RT will help you to get to your answer.

The Viking
18-02-2015, 05:18 PM
1 litre of OFN will be very similar in weight to air, 0.000001 providing I got my decimal point right... 1kg/m3.

But... Why???

:cool:

marc5180
18-02-2015, 05:42 PM
1 cubic meter of air at STP (standard temperature and pressure) weighs 1.293 kg.....I think

chemi-cool
18-02-2015, 06:17 PM

work it out:
in a ofn bottle with a volume of 50 liters at 200 Bar, there are 6000 liters of gas, i will find out the weight tomorrow when I will be in the factory

Found this page:
http://www.airproducts.com/products/Gases/gas-facts/conversion-formulas/weight-and-volume-equivalents/nitrogen.aspx

Wookey
19-02-2015, 08:01 AM
Thank you, I'm a layman (or rather laywomen) really, so not a refrigeration engineer, but trying to understand about refrigeration and how it works and understand parts used and functions, etc. So jumping straight in at the deep end to trying work on thermal dynamics without any prior knowledge! There's only so much information that I can get from the Internet. So appreciate all of your intelligent and educated replies.

r.bartlett
19-02-2015, 11:11 PM

I am thinking you've led yourself up a blind alley. Google 'basic refrigeration diagram' that is the best place to start