PDA

View Full Version : Employment in Australia

bernar
11-02-2015, 04:55 PM
Hi all,
i have my BSc (Hons) in refrigeration and air conditioning engineering, HND in refrigeration and air conditioning engineering, Career diploma in HVACR and also have all my City and Guilds qualifications in refrigeration and air conditioning engineering.
i want to know if i could have good employment in Australia as i am thinking of relocating from the United Kingdom to Australia. Any advice???

Rob White
11-02-2015, 05:16 PM

With those qualifications you could rule Australia :D

You certainly have all the qualifications, do you have practical
knowledge or are you a theory / design guy?

The type of work you want to do will be the biggest factor in
what qualifications are relevant. I know Australia make you
redo their equivalent qualifications and obviously you will need
a refrigerant licence of some sorts.

Best bet is to get sponsored by a company and they do it all for you.

Rob

cadwaladr
11-02-2015, 06:54 PM
Ah if I was young again ,still time I guess got a few years left

FreezerGeezer
14-02-2015, 10:22 PM
No, they don't.
Almost NO Australian employer will lift a finger to help you get your local qualifications, in my experience. You are expected to gain & maintain all licences yourself.
With your qual's, you'll almost certainly have to jump through extra testing to show you're capable of working on the tools - if that's what you want to do - as you're overqualified.
A lot depends on where you want to move to.
I recommend searching this forum, reading my & other's posts on the subject.

And remember - Australia can be a great place to live. However, it IS NOT the UK with sunshine!

cadwaladr
15-02-2015, 01:04 AM
Completely disagree I have a great friend over there and if I wanted to go he would pull out all the stops,I would go tomorrow problem is got my family here they would tell me to go and chase my dream it's a tough shout,but don't tar everyone with the same brush if you can graft you will succeed I know it from first hand experience.

FreezerGeezer
15-02-2015, 09:07 PM
That's the thing. If you know people there, it will be easier. Who, not what, you know. ;)
My point is, it's a different country, with different ways of doing things.
One of those is that employers do not normally pay your licences etc. (apart from CPR/LVR). While in the UK, all my employers did.
Grafters are always welcome, regardless of which country we're discussing.
And basically, I couldn't be bothered to type out everything that's already been written on this topic, again. ;)
Although if a Rob is correct, and a sponsoring company will sort out all your local licences etc, then that's excellent.
Just bear in mind that sponsors are usually located where very few people want to live, and that under the scheme you'd be unable to relocate before your time's up.

And yes, that well qualified, you should be able to pick & choose, I'd have thought.
Good luck with it, anyway.
Are you looking for fridge or A/C, by the way?

mikeref
16-02-2015, 08:36 AM
Hi all,
i have my BSc (Hons) in refrigeration and air conditioning engineering, HND in refrigeration and air conditioning engineering, Career diploma in HVACR and also have all my City and Guilds qualifications in refrigeration and air conditioning engineering.
i want to know if i could have good employment in Australia as i am thinking of relocating from the United Kingdom to Australia. Any advice???

Seems to me you have advanced refrigeration theory to your credit. Congratulations.:)

"" I want to know if i could have Good employment in Australia"
??
You will need to brush up on your grammar before an interview in OZ to be honest.:D

gravy258
16-02-2015, 08:50 AM
I love these posts that have a life of there own without any input from the original poster,
or any sign of said poster returning.

He would maybe get away with doing a recognition of prior learning test to obtain an Australian qualification. But there is no mention of practical experience.

FreezerGeezer
16-02-2015, 09:48 PM
Gravy, I know what you mean. Pity people don't think to use the search function. ;)

Anyway;
If the original poster goes the Trade Rec'n route, he may find that TRA want to give him extra testing, as they did in my & other cases.
Personally I took offence, I'm afraid. Until the TRA chap explained that they're very familiar with UK qualifications, and I was overqualified for being a fridge mechanic.
This extra test is done over the phone, at your convenience, and they even ring you. So other than some time, it costs no extra than what you've already shelled out.