PDA

View Full Version : RAT DAMAGE: Daikin 16kw external unit main PCB

tkalfaoglu
02-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Hello.. My less than two year old heat pump system failed the other day, complaining of an L1 error. I called the service personnel, and they discovered a large rat living inside it!
Apparently its urine made the card short circuit.

They claim this voids the warrantee and I have to pay over a thousand US dollars to get a new card!

In your opinion: 1) Is it the fault of the customer that a device is made so a rat can get inside it?
2) Where can I find a replacement main pcb that's more reasonable?

Obviously the heater no longer works, and its pretty cold, so I'm pretty upset about the whole thing :(

Many thanks, -turgut

spimps
02-02-2015, 05:32 PM
Insurance claim !

The Viking
02-02-2015, 10:22 PM
Sadly nothing I would expect to be covered under warranty. (Remember, the warranty is there to protect you against manufacturing issues)
As simps say above, check your home insurance if you are able to claim on that.

As to the cost of the replacement... 1k USD, it does sound excessive but then I do not know what the going rate for spare parts is in Turkey. It might be worth contacting Daikin directly and ask for their advice.

This is a link to a UK based company that on their website offers "world wide service": http://www.daikin-parts.co.uk/index.html but I never used them myself or know what their service or prices are like.

:cool:

tkalfaoglu
10-02-2015, 08:11 AM
Many thanks; I do view the fact that an "outdoor" device has enough openings to let rats damage the inner parts a manufacturing defect.. However, the Turkish Daikin does not think so.

AC_From_Hell
28-02-2015, 04:16 PM
This is damage caused by external factor and has nothing to do with the heat pump. There isn't a manufacturer who can cover this kind of damage. Would you want a brand new outdoor if this one was stolen or someone smashed it with a hammer? Maybe the manufacturer made the air con from thin sheet metal and you would blame them for that?!

From my experience with single, multi splits, VRF, air to water heat pumps and etc for the past 19 years I've had only few cases of rat damage. Therefore the openings in the units are not the problem, it is the hygiene...

tkalfaoglu
01-03-2015, 08:56 AM
Ok, how about water damage? how about rust?
Should the manufacturer be responsible for what an "outdoor unit" should withstand?

How about the installer? My installer left the pipe wide open, so a rat could make itself a home.
It then peed on the card and shorted it. Result? $1000 damage, NOT covered by Daikin Turkey's warrantee.

hookster
01-03-2015, 10:54 AM
Outdoor units are constructed to a minimum ingress protection rating of 2.1
2 = Protected against solid objects over 12mm in size. Eg fingers and hands
1 = Protected against vertically falling drops of water

I would have a close look at the installation and examine the installers penetrations and see if their workmanship reduced the ingress protection. i.e. pipe penetrations and cable accesses.

How about the installer? My installer left the pipe wide open, so a rat could make itself a home.

Just read this! I would get installer to repair and then start the fight of who is going to pay!
They have installed against manufacturer recommendations. :mad:

I would also get rid of your service company they are taking your money and not performing!

chemi-cool
01-03-2015, 04:13 PM
Hello.. My less than two year old heat pump system failed the other day, complaining of an L1 error. I called the service personnel, and they discovered a large rat living inside it!
Apparently its urine made the card short circuit.

Get a cat :D

mikeref
02-03-2015, 08:48 AM
Ants, spiders, Gecko's, Wasps, Beetles, Frogs, Snakes, Mice and a variety rats have no trouble gaining access to outdoor A/c kits
pcb's in this particular spot on the world map.

Then there is the Bandicoot, A Nocturnal creature that occasionally chews on electrical wiring.
Basically, there is F/A counter measures for controlling all these wizards of nature.

Here's an adult Aussie Bandicoot.

The Viking
02-03-2015, 06:35 PM
Now that's a cute little fella...

:cool:

hyperion
03-03-2015, 07:26 AM
We have had some success by filling up the gaps around the pipe entry points with wire wool.
It may not deter the Bandicoots of the world, but it does seem to stop the mice size creatures from getting in and toasting themselves on the PCB.
This has to be an end user responsibility and nothing to do with the manufacturer.