PDA

View Full Version : Hiace or Transit

r.bartlett
20-01-2015, 07:48 AM
2011 Same money same mileage same everything (except hiace has ac)

which would you plump for

cadwaladr
20-01-2015, 05:26 PM
What's the engine power I have had both and now in a transit much better fuel consumption from the transit but beware they do rust so waxoil to keep it at bay,parts are cheaper too a/c would not sway me

monkey spanners
20-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Hiace, mate had three of them and never any trouble 150k miles on one, bit dated though. Wouldn't touch a new shape one though as they now peugot expert with different badge.

Not sure on transit, RAC guy who came out when my primastar broke down said his was getting through a new DMF flywheel, clutch and starter every 30k miles, but think that was the older model than the 2011.

chemi-cool
20-01-2015, 07:21 PM

Treat yourself Richard with one of these. comfortable and powerful, can easy load a ton on the back and you can kill any BMW at the traffic lights.

install monkey
20-01-2015, 08:15 PM
transits are crap- done 40k in mine, starter motor on its last legs, used to have probs with gearboxes knackering up, new gearboxes come from poland and lask 20k tops, vw crafter is the dogs danglies

jdunc2301
20-01-2015, 10:10 PM
My new mid engine transit...best van I've had

MikeHolm
20-01-2015, 11:56 PM

Treat yourself Richard with one of these. comfortable and powerful, can easy load a ton on the back and you can kill any BMW at the traffic lights.

Fuel must be cheap in Israel

r.bartlett
21-01-2015, 03:04 PM

Not for me I'm afraid as I drive a Zafira :-)

looks like we have had a change of plan and it's going to be a Volkswagon Caddy maxi. We have one and it's been ok. Prefer Hiace for reliability but as we're high mileage it's poor fuel consumption is a killer.

r.bartlett
21-01-2015, 03:10 PM
transits are crap- done 40k in mine, starter motor on its last legs, used to have probs with gearboxes knackering up, new gearboxes come from poland and lask 20k tops, vw crafter is the dogs danglies

Ta I thought the tranny was better than that so heyho

Crafter is way too big for us :-)

r.bartlett
21-01-2015, 03:13 PM
What's the engine power I have had both and now in a transit much better fuel consumption from the transit but beware they do rust so waxoil to keep it at bay,parts are cheaper too a/c would not sway me

I only buy vans with ac these days. When guys are doing 40k a year long hours and sit on the motorway in mid summer gently cooking when we are blue arsed flies ac makes a real difference.

Duty of care and all that comes into play.

chemi-cool
21-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Not for me I'm afraid as I drive a Zafira :-)

looks like we have had a change of plan and it's going to be a Volkswagon Caddy maxi. We have one and it's been ok. Prefer Hiace for reliability but as we're high mileage it's poor fuel consumption is a killer.

Big heavy pick up trucks are totally tax deductible here so they come out cheap.
Myself is a berlingo guy, drives a berlingo maxi, change them every 3 years, very comfortable, best fuel consumption for that car size. I look after the van myself, never had any problem [I mean NEVER].

I was looking into Caddy maxi but it was not comfortable, driver is sitting too low, bad fuel consumption, very expensive to maintain.

I drive about 45k KM per year.

NB12
22-01-2015, 01:43 AM
I put 100k on a 2010 transit in two years, took it from 40k to 140k and never had a single problem with it. A swb mk7 115bhp T280, did 35-40mpg depending how much of a hurry I was in. I like them but they do rust if you are planning on keeping it more than 3/5years.

cadwaladr
22-01-2015, 03:14 AM
White vans rust quicker than any other? is it because there are more about but transits treated right waxoiled cannot be beaten,but many years ago had lwb hiace circa late eighties the one with the engine under the seat best van around at that time by a country mile.

Latte
16-02-2015, 10:46 PM
tried following one of those new Vauxhall Vivaros the other day, it was a 1.6 twin turbo and left me standing from 0-68..... then his speed limiter cut in ha ha ha.. laters

Magoo
17-02-2015, 02:12 AM
Who in their right mind would drive a forward control vehicle, basically sitting up front forward of everything. A sheet of pressed steel between you and getting legs crunched off. Air conditioning will not help in an accident.

MikeHolm
18-02-2015, 02:33 AM
Who in their right mind would drive a forward control vehicle, basically sitting up front forward of everything. A sheet of pressed steel between you and getting legs crunched off. Air conditioning will not help in an accident.

Ummmmm, me and my VW LT. Love it