PDA

View Full Version : Actron pressure problems

Keza
15-12-2014, 07:46 AM
Hi Guys,

I currently have a problem with an Actron 3 Phase R22 ducted unit.
Model:SRA22C-0300
The unit has an M series controller and is coming up with an E9 fault.
Which is High/ Low pressure fault.
After bridging out both HP and LP switch and letting the unit run to see if it faults out to rule out faulty outdoor PCB, it did not fault out.
So with my gauges connected where the HP and LP switches are located I found the unit to be running at 80PSI on the suction line and 320PSI on the discharge. Rather high for my liking.
Both Condenser fans are running and the coil is clean. The R/A filter is clean as well as the indoor coil. There are no duct restrictions.
It has a fixed oriface with capillary on the indoor unit.
The owner has lived here for 3 years and says no one has ever worked on it.
Any one got any idea's? Or should it be reclaimed and tested for non-condensibles or overcharged?
Thanks in advance!

Grizzly
15-12-2014, 10:02 AM
Hi Kesa.
So the pressure temps are +8 an 58c. So HP is high.
Are the condenser fans running in the correct direction?
In no particular order.
Overcharged, Air in system, choked liquid strainer ( temp diff across), Lack of condenser air flow (Which way is it flowing), Moisture in the system, Faulty Exp. Valve (closed),
If you have high discharge s/heat then suspect Air in System.
Check the subcooling temp.
If that is excessive (6-say 10c is normal) TEv, overcharged, air in system, choked liquid strainer,( exp. Valve closed -assumed irrelevant in your case?)
If you cannot isolate the particular issue then your

Or should it be reclaimed and tested for non-condensable or overcharged?
Option may be the best course of action.
What stage do the condenser fans come on at?
It may be relavant.
Also does this unit have a defrost cycle? only some don't bring the evap fans back online until the evap coil temp is low enough.
If the probe controlling this is not sited correctly then the evap load can become excessive which would cause the issues you are seeing.
Good Luck.
Grizzly

Grizzly
15-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Hi kesa.
I just checked and E9 can indeed mean a phase or phase rotation error so my first guess above would seem favourite.
Grizzly

Keza
15-12-2014, 11:52 AM
Hi Grizzly,

Thanks very much for your information. Very helpful!

I have checked both condenser fans are running and in the right direction. I checked all capacitors because that can sometimes cause them to run backwards. I checked both low speed and high speed capacitors and they are fine and there's power to high speed terminal. Also the condenser fans come on with the compressor and stay on.

There is good airflow through the condenser and it's clean. I can see daylight through it.
It is a reverse cycle so it would have a defrost cycle but we are running in cooling.

I will arrange to go back to site and check temperature differential across driers and strainers e.t.c
Also the sub-cooling.

I didn't have time as it was bucketing down rain. I held the liquid pipe at the evaporator and it felt like it was shuddering every few seconds like a liquid flood every few seconds. Just really weird

Thanks again!

Keza
15-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Sorry I forgot to mention, the phase error is on 'ESP' models.
This unit is an 'M' series so it only refers to HP/LP.
Thanks for the extra info tho!

Keza
29-12-2014, 09:38 AM
Hi guys,
Just an update. It ended up being the outdoor PCB faulty.
I was hesitant on getting it as it was $500 alone!