PDA

View Full Version : testing thermostat

psrome
18-04-2006, 04:58 PM
I am in the process of bringing my kegerator back to life and want to test the thermostat. Does anyone know how to do this? It is sitting on my desk in front of me...do I need to have this connected to the unit to run the test? Can I just use and ohm meter?

Thanks for your help,

jerry

Abe
18-04-2006, 07:39 PM
If its just got contact switches, use ice

Peter_1
18-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Short circuit the 2 leads on the thermostat.

psrome
18-04-2006, 09:52 PM
There aren't any leads. It is just the two metal contacts coming out of the thermostat. What does the ice do?

Brian_UK
18-04-2006, 10:13 PM
What does the ice do?It simulates the fridge getting cold. When it's cold the contacts should open.

If you haven't got ice to hand along with a thermometer try attaching it to another fridge that is working and test it then.

psrome
18-04-2006, 10:24 PM
I am for the confustion but the thermostat is disconnected. Is there any way to test it without power. Like an Ohm meter?

Thanks for all your help thus far.

phil68
18-04-2006, 10:34 PM
I am for the confustion but the thermostat is disconnected. Is there any way to test it without power. Like an Ohm meter?

Thanks for all your help thus far.
Yes, place the bulb of the thermostat in some ice, wait a few minutes (you should hear an audible click as the contacts break) & with the bulb still in the ice measure across the two terminals. It should read infinity ohms, an open circuit. Take the bulb out of the ice & place it in your clenched fist to warm it up (another audible click will be heard after a short time as the contacts make) & you should measure zero ohms, or as close as , depending on the quality of the meter. Or even easier, if you've got a buzzer facility on the meter for testing continuity, it shouldn't sound when measuring across the terminals when the bulb is in the ice & should when it's taken out:)

psrome
18-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Thank you very much guys. I will get this puppy running one of these days.

chillin out
19-04-2006, 12:27 AM
There is 2 connectors on the top ...? yes?

is there a long silver thin pipe coming out of it as well?

(just making sure you havent removed the phail)

Ice will not activate it, put the end of the little pipe (phail) into a freezer and you will hear a click. It should now go open circuit (billions of ohms) .

now warm up the phail and it will click again it should have a closed circuit.

Why do you think the stat is faulty?

Chillin:) :)

psrome
19-04-2006, 02:33 PM
I finally figured it out...

The thermostat is good, the compressor is good, it was just a bad connection. I shouldn't say I figured it out...my neighbor, who is in the refrigeration business, called one of the techs. for the company and had him walk him through testing. Come to find out my neighbor had me cut the pipes to my compressor, drain my refrigerant, and dismantle my thermostat just because of a bad electrical connection. Oh well, I learned a lot and he is getting tech. over to put it all back together for me. He is quite embarrassed.

Thanks for all your help guys. I am sure I will be talking to you all again some time in the future.

Jerry

slingblade
19-04-2006, 03:48 PM
I finally figured it out...

The thermostat is good, the compressor is good, it was just a bad connection. I shouldn't say I figured it out...my neighbor, who is in the refrigeration business, called one of the techs. for the company and had him walk him through testing. Come to find out my neighbor had me cut the pipes to my compressor, drain my refrigerant, and dismantle my thermostat just because of a bad electrical connection. Oh well, I learned a lot and he is getting tech. over to put it all back together for me. He is quite embarrassed.

Thanks for all your help guys. I am sure I will be talking to you all again some time in the future.

Jerry

LOL. .

Paulajayne
20-04-2006, 02:07 PM
ALWAYS - ALWAYS - ALWAYS go for the simpler checks first.

Never presume that an item is OK - check it and then move on to the next.

Paula

Mebozu
07-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Where you get it???

The MG Pony
07-08-2006, 09:21 PM
I certainly hope you mean water coolant as releasing refrigerant is a mega No no in the states there.