PDA

View Full Version : In the UK we drive on the left!

Grizzly
21-11-2014, 09:43 PM
OK the above title is a given fact, which usually manifests itself in the same when we walk along a footpath.
Only for the last three days, I have been on a site where the bulk of the staff are Eastern European.
So most of the signage has Eastern languages as well as English. Nothing new there eh!
You may even come across a more multi cultural mix where there are signs in the gents.
Asking users not to squat on top of the toilet seats!
Anyway on said site I noticed that if I tried to walk along any of the footpaths on the left.
I was in danger of being forced to walk back the way I came.
Due to the at times, large numbers of Site staff coming the other way. After the first day I started to adopt the same L/Hand drive principal. My passage onsite became almost unhindered.
I even started to play the "spot the Brit!" where an individual would walk against the oncoming tide.
Quite a sight especially at break times.

Nothing to do with fridge I know, but many others must experience these "Food sites" with
a lot of "Agency" Staff?
One Ice Cream Factory I worked at before it was sold off had signage in 7 languages!

Not knocking the staff in any way they all work hard in conditions most would not tolerate.

Just observing life and noting how, We all find common ground eventually!
Grizzly

mikeref
22-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Rural OZ towns people simply stroll along side walks, left or right but usually down the middle.
Any staircase is another matter as foreigners choose to descend on their Right while locals climb on the Left.

install monkey
22-11-2014, 09:16 PM
unless its your stairs mike- where u just fall down em- morganed up! haha

Rural OZ towns people simply stroll along side walks, left or right but usually down the middle.
Any staircase is another matter as foreigners choose to descend on their Right while locals climb on the Left.

Glenn Moore
23-11-2014, 01:03 AM
Blimey Grizz
Where have you been hiding, all food factories from Cornwall to Hadrians wall and beyond are manned by East Europeans working every shift possible then taking the money home and buying a mansion in their own country. I recently went back to a chicken processing plant that I worked on some 25 years ago. 25 years ago all the staff were local girls that had just left school with their hands up chickens butts and sifting through all the gruesome entrails etc, now they are all immigrants, apart from the supervisors, which seems the norm in all factories these days.
One factory i worked at on the Kent coast, every time I went there the plumbers were there power flushing all the toilets and sewer pipes, as the workers stand on the bog seats and it goes everywhere and then they block it with tons of paper, lovely. Each time it happens sewerage floods the office block. Rumour has it the company is now floating on the stock market
Even the toilet cleaners are woman from somewhere foreign, quite off putting trying to go with a woman standing behind you especially when you only need 2 fingers

Grizzly
23-11-2014, 10:37 AM
Blimey Grizz
Where have you been hiding
Same places as you I suspect Glenn. The site mentioned by me was also a chicken processing factory!
One of the Bird Tunnels there which we help site maintain does 12,500 birds an hour.
Apparently from The Egg being Hatched to dispatch from the factory is 6 weeks!
Just imagine all that enhanced flavour!
I know of some that Allegedly sell meat as 21 day cured when it's been sealed in a bag on a pallet within a cold store for up to 2 weeks! !

Grizzly

MikeHolm
25-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Glad I don't work in an abattoir, yuk. Escalators...stand on the right, walk on the left. stairs and sidewalks, keep to your right side (unless you are a group of teenagers who are in their own little world). North Americal standard, I guess.

Rob White
25-11-2014, 05:01 PM
Glad I don't work in an abattoir, yuk. Escalators...stand on the right, walk on the left. stairs and sidewalks, keep to your right side (unless you are a group of teenagers who are in their own little world). North Americal standard, I guess.

Same here. :)

Rob