PDA

View Full Version : My refrigerator is making a strange sound

elessaranduril
21-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Hello everyone,

My fridge, of 2 years old, is making a strange sound coming from the freezer section.
This sound stops once the door of the freezer (top) or the fridge (down) is opened.

To describe this sound, it's intermittent, like if someone shakes some part in the fridge.
I don't know if it's caused by a defective fan motor, or it's just the build of the ice behind the cover of the freezer?
Would the shut down of the fridge for a day or two be a solution to this problem?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Best regards.

cool_tech
01-12-2014, 09:47 AM
What brand of fridge is it?

pcvh1976
01-12-2014, 10:52 AM
keep 1 door open, problem solved

haq
10-12-2014, 04:55 PM
are you sure the sound is not coming from the compressor compartment or the condensate tray (if its metallic)?

Gaz22
13-12-2014, 11:12 AM
It sounds like your freezer is iced up and the fan blade is touching the ice while its spinning which explains why the sound stops when you open the door because fans stop when the door is open.
Switch off your fridge for 24hour to defrost, that should clear your problem for around a year before it starts icing up again depending how often you open it.

if after switching the fridge on you still hear the noise than you might need to get the fan motor replaced.

Gaz22
13-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Also if you clean the condenser on the back of your fridge, it will have better heat transfer which means the fridge will go down to temp quicker and by not running longer, it will build up less ice over time and also saves you on electricity.